Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need ideas on how to protect my dashboard

Hi guys,

On my 65 commander, I'm fortunate to have a nice dashboard. No cracks or fading. It's a Bordeaux car with red interior, so I'd like to do some sort of preservation to keep the dash nice- especially since replacement someday would be difficult. I was thinking of making a mat out of carpet. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Nate

The dash pad in my Champ pick-up is still the original. It was a Texas farm truck from 1965 until 1988, so it spent much of its time outside. However, when not being used it was parked under cover so it did not have constant sun exposure - that is the enemy to any of that soft stuff.

There is no way to put moisture back into the material, but you can protect it from the sun when parked - I use a simple cardboard windshield cover to keep the rays off when not driving. Something permanently laying on the dash will trap dirt and moisture and could do more harm than help. You could always squirrel away one of those green dash pads that are still around "just in case", but chances are if there are no major problems now, you will not have to worry about it. Good luck.

Comment

A windshield cover is an excellent idea...keep the harmful sun off the dash when not being driven.

Use a good quality protectant...one that doesn't have water in it. There's a number of good protectants on the market...I use Griot's Garage Vinyl and Rubber Dressing, but there's lots of good ones. Armor All has a bad name, though...early on they used water in theirs and it caused a lot of problems...cracking and splitting of dashes. They've changed their formula but many people have long memories and still won't buy it.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Here's a good way to do it, as I did with my 1964 Daytona hardtop's dash overlay when I bought the car in September 1977. The dash was pretty good but not perfect, so I wanted to keep it as it was, never expecting it to be any better, of course, but hopefully not deteriorate further. It has worked well:

Cut a piece of old, soft blanket to the approximate size of the top of the dash. SOAK that blanket in the vinyl protectant of your choice. I've used both Armor-All and STP Son-of-a-Gun through the years, but have no preferences.

Simply lay the blanket on top of the dash while the car is in storage.

Simple and effective. It has worked well for me; the dash overlay in that Daytona looks about the same as it did 37 years ago, when I bought the car. BP
        Last edited by BobPalma; 06-22-2014, 04:10 AM. Reason: spelling
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I got a custom fit roll up reflective windshield cover for my Avanti and it is always used when the car is parked outside to avoid sun exposure....otherwise the car is always protected with a cover. My Avanti did come with a carpet dash protector, but it wouldn't stay on the dash and I always like looking at the dash pad, itself, instead of carpet, anyway...

Comment

Thanks guys! I garage the car always and when parked, it gets a windshield cover. I'll just apply protectant! I really don't like the carpet dash covers, so I didn't want to do that! Great idea Bob.
            Thanks,
            Nate

Comment

......don't do anything to it based upon what you just stated. Why ? Why add something to a good dash that has no imperfections and will always be covered....? I don't see you claiming to drive 20K miles each year going forward. So.... the car will be sitting without you in the seat (no sun).....I don't see it. Any company will try to cut a budget in their product these days...

Comment

I recommend HeatShield (from Sunnyvale, CA).
                Online store for purchasing custom car windshield reflectors to protect vehicles from sun and heat.

We use one in our daily driver. Aside from protecting the dash, it really helps keep the temperatures down when parked.
                Unlike OTC versions, they fit perfectly and don't sag out of position.
                Andy
                62 GT

Comment

Jack, you nailed it. We only get the car out occasionally. So that short time in sun won't matter! Just don't want to ever have to replace it with how hard it would be.

Comment

They do make "Dash Mat" Brand, carpet dash covers to fit '63 to '66 Lark Types you know. I hope they STILL make them, haven't bought one in a LOT of years.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-22-2014, 11:39 AM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yep, I had a perfect dash on my old T-6 back in the 1970's, put Armor All on it and it was severely cracked within six months!

Comment

My wife puts baby oil on her 65 Mustang dash for years and it still looks like new. It will collect dust until it soaks in.

Comment

Working...
                        X