help with pertronix for 56 Power Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: help with pertronix for 56 Power Hawk

Hello all. I am pretty new to Studebakers. I have a 1956 Power Hawk and am trying to install a Pertronix ignition. Does anybody know what # Pertronix is used in our application? If not, does anybody know what distributor is in the 56 Power Hawk? Mine does not have a tag on it and I cannot see any numbers stamped on the unit itself.

Thanks,
    Walter

It should have the early Delco Distributor, this is similar to GM early 1950's except it is a Counter Clockwise rotation.

If you buy your Pertronix Ignition System from a Studebaker Vendor you will be assured of getting the correct Kit.
    Even the (Mfg.) Pertronixs Website listing is not correct for Studebaker V8's.
    It is amazing that they Can sell Kits for 1929 Pierce Arrows but can't get it right for '51 to '64 Stude. V8's!

A Turning Wheels Monthly SDC Publication advertiser and Member Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker 937 878 1576 can fix you up with the correct Kit.

The best way to be sure that your Car still has the correct Delco Distributor for a '51 to '59 Studebaker V8 is check to see if your ROTOR looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3575.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1691104 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3577.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1691105
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It would be wise to remove and "go through" the distributor as part of installing the Pertronix. At that time, you'd be able to read the data plate easily, and probably discover a few things in need of attention. Simply leaning over the fender and installing a Pertronix will probably lead to disappointing results. But if you totally disassemble it, inspect, clean & lube, then reassemble with the Pertronix included, you will probably be happy with the results.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Yes, my rotor does look like the one pictured. I thought it was kind of odd looking when I removed it -- my other "toys" are from the 70's and have different looking rotors.
        I will also be sure to "go through" the distributor before installation of Pertronix.
        Thanks again for the replies and help.
        Walter

Comment

Working...
        X