Close call last Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close call last Saturday

Last Saturday, as I started to head out to Lake Cowichan for our church's annual Father's Day camping weekend, I had a TOTAL brake failure. By the grace of God it happened as I was stopped at a traffic light rather than when I was coming down the other side of the mountain pass I needed to take to get to the lake.

As I stopped at a red light, I applied the brakes firmly to engage the hill-holder on the slight uphill grade. As I did so, the pedal suddenly went soft and went right to the floor. I started to roll backwards so I pulled on the parking brake and put the transmission (DG-200 transmission) into Park. As the light turned green I put it into drive and pulled over to the curb when the road leveled off ahead. As I pulled over I pumped the brakes repeatedly but I had NO hydraulic brakes whatsoever. When I got out of the car I noticed a series of sprays of brake fluid on the pavement behind the car marking my attempts to stop.

A fellow noticed me looking under the car and pulled over to offer assistance. We were able to determine that the steel brake line had sprung a leak just ahead of the driver's side rear wheel. Fortunately, my Good Samaritan owned a used car lot and knew a good guy to call for a tow on a tilt bed type truck. Andy, the tow truck driver was so excited to see my 51 Land Cruiser since he loves older vehicles. It turns out he had owned a Weasel for a short period of time a couple of years ago. He saw an ad on the 'USED Victoria' website and picked it up for $600 and flipped to a Weasel enthusiast in Vancouver. Andy also had a buddy who had owned a 37 Coupe Express a few years ago. I told him about my die-cast 37 CE sitting on my office desk holding my business cards in the pickup bed.

Fortunately, I was just a few blocks from a auto repair shop owned by SDC member, Tom Fiddler and his son. I reached Tom at home since they weren't open on Saturday to let him know of my needs and ask if we could drop the car off in the yard. So... now all is well with the brakes - new hard brake lines and flexible hoses installed. The brake shoes, master cylinder and wheel cylinders were replaced about 6 years ago and are still in good shape. Tom is also replacing my flexible oil line to the OP gauge while he's at it.

Needless to say, my family and I are very grateful that the brakes failed when and where they did. It could have been a very different Father's Day if it had happened on the north side of the Malahat pass.

I am reminded of the advice I have read many times on this forum: FIRST- make it STOP, THEN make it GO!

Cheers,

Jim
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Wow. What a hair raising experience ! Glad you escaped serious injury or worse. Guess this is a good plug for Jim Turner

Comment

If your hill holder is working (and adjusted) properly, there should be no need for a 'firm' application of the brake pedal.
      But... Your firm application of the brakes at a stoplight (that induced the failure) is sure way better than a firm application (and failure) of the brakes in a panic stop.

Count your lucky stars and call Jim Turner.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I had that happen to my 64 Commander in the vehicle testing station (long gone) in Burnaby. When the tester hammered the brakes on the brake machine the line to the rear wheels blew. The front brakes applied because of the dual master cylinder, but the rear brakes registered 0 on the scale. Nice puddle under the car.

When you consider that the summit of the Malahat is less than 1000 feet above sea level, it is amazing just how dangerous that road can be.

Terry

Comment

About a month ago, I had to slam on my brakes to avoid someone coming out of a parking lot. The tires actually locked up slightly so I was somewhat impressed with the brakes at that time. Perhaps that panic stop precipitated this recent failure of the brake line.

2 weekends past, I was considering taking the Studebaker on our 29th anniversary weekend across to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. We decided to take our Honda instead. Good thing because we ended up driving up to Hurricane Ridge above Port Angeles. That road is way more dangerous than the Malahat!

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
            I had that happen to my 64 Commander in the vehicle testing station (long gone) in Burnaby. When the tester hammered the brakes on the brake machine the line to the rear wheels blew. The front brakes applied because of the dual master cylinder, but the rear brakes registered 0 on the scale. Nice puddle under the car.

When you consider that the summit of the Malahat is less than 1000 feet above sea level, it is amazing just how dangerous that road can be.

Terry
            Same thing happened to me many years ago. Took a 1962 Willys CJ to our local state vehicle inspection station. Jeep was about 20 years old and used for snow plowing. When the inspector jumped on the brakes, the hard line to the rear wheels blew out. Willys for some strange reason ran the line through the floor up along side the drivers seat makes a right hand bend and travels back through the floor to the rear wheels. Well, the line blew out on that 90 degree bend and shot a blast of that old stinky brake fluid all over the inspectors left pant leg and shinny Oxford! Boy did he get hot! He slapped the big red sticker on the windshield DO NOT DRIVE! MUST BE TOWED!
            Last edited by 57pack; 06-18-2014, 06:22 PM.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Well the last 55 years or so my motto has always been make it stop first before you make it go too.
              I have always replaced all the brakes on every used car I have ever bought before driving it. I now will only use the new nickle-copper brake lines. You will never have to worry about them again. They do not rust so will never give you that surprise.
              Nick

Comment

Not limited to older cars. The same thing happened to my 2000 Silverado during the winter. Rusted brake line ruptured, wild ride.

I contacted Chevrolet about the problem. Seems they are to busy with other issues so they basically said "Home Boy" you'all on your own. They will get the $640 bill however. We'll see if the new CEO will answer her mail.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  If your hill holder is working (and adjusted) properly, there should be no need for a 'firm' application of the brake pedal.
                  But... Your firm application of the brakes at a stoplight (that induced the failure) is sure way better than a firm application (and failure) of the brakes in a panic stop.

Count your lucky stars and call Jim Turner.
                  Speaking of hill holders, mine doesn't seem to be working even though I put in a new ball cage and kit. The manual said to make sure it is adjusted right just like you just did. However nowhere can I find what adjusted right means or when it is adjusted right. Anyone have the answer to that one?
                  Nick

Comment

Now is also the time to check AND replace those rubber brake hoses! How long have they been on?
                    The US Department of Transportation has REQUIRED all brake hose manufacturer name and a date (in plain English) be printed on brake hoses since "at least" 1977.

The hose I am currently using is : BQ 8/13. (BQ is brakequip)
                    As stated before, get then to stop first, then get them to go!

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Jim. I'm replacing the hoses along with the steel lines. The shoes and wheel cylinders were replaced about 6 years ago. The only part of the brakes that remains from 1951 are the drums and backing plates.
                      Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                      Jim Mann
                      Victoria, B.C.
                      Canada

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        Not limited to older cars. The same thing happened to my 2000 Silverado during the winter. Rusted brake line ruptured, wild ride.

I contacted Chevrolet about the problem. Seems they are to busy with other issues so they basically said "Home Boy" you'all on your own. They will get the $640 bill however. We'll see if the new CEO will answer her mail.

Bob
                        Check this link out.

Comment

Advice taken. I am 2 years into reviving a 1949 2R5 truck. It will not come off the blocks, and I will not attempt to start the motor until I finish replacing the brake system. I have other posts which show problems getting replacement shoes, which I will fix when it is driveable, but the hoses, cylinders, steel lines, and dual master cylinder will be all replaced. I am getting close to finishing that part of the process.

Comment

Jim - sorry to hear about the brake troubles and glad to hear it worked out OK. We miss seeing youat our local get togethers... we are having a Chapter BBQ on Monday June 30 up in Duncan (along with a tour of a local egg processing plant).

Sure would be nice if you and Yvonne could make it over the 'hat for the occasion.

We are also planning some sort of get together for Saturday July 12th as that is "Collector Car Appreciation Day" here in BC.
                            Mark Hayden
                            '66 Commander

Comment

Hi Mark,

Yes, Elsie is now back on the road and stopping as good as can be expected for a big old car with manual drum brakes. I haven't done any more work on the LC over the winter. I intended to replace the wiring harnesses and finish installing the remainder of the new weather-stripping etc. but I think I was a little burned out after such an intense push to get it ready for paint for my daughter's wedding last August. Maybe next winter...

I guess I've finally been deleted from the email list for VISTA. That's what I get for not paying my local club dues. I haven't received the VISTA digital newsletter recently so I wasn't aware of these upcoming club events. I doubt Yvonne and I will be taking Monday, June 30 off work but we might be able to participate Saturday, July 12. Is there something local planned for IDYSD 2014?

Cheers,

Jim

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                              Jim Mann
                              Victoria, B.C.
                              Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X