Automatic transmission for 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic transmission for 1950 Champion

Will an automotive transmission connected to a 6 cyl 170 engine fit into all 1950 Champion. I have heard that when the automatic transmission was installed in some cars in mid year that the hump was enlarged to accommodate the larger size compared to a manual transmission.

Ron

1950 was the first year Studebaker offered the automatic transmission. The Champion was fitted with the Borg-Warner DG150. As far as I know, it was not a mid-year change and there was no alteration to the transmission hump.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I really hope you are not actually considering taking out a perfectly good 3 Speed Manual Overdrive Borg Warner T-96 to install a Studebaker Automatic Drive 3 band Detroit Gear Automatic.

I think you will be disappointed with the performance and Fuel Mileage with the 169 Flat Head Engine, after much expense and a LOT of work.

Maybe IF you are used to Pedaling a Flintstone-Mobile, you can deal with it. Or maybe buy a few extra Squirrels to help out!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studerich is correct. I have one compete automatic transmission here setting in a crate with torque converter.

Comment

Working...
        X