Turner Disc Kit just installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Turner Disc Kit just installed

It took the garage next door about three hours to do the complete front brake install with the Turner Kit. Used new Ford Explorer rims on front with Ford lug nuts. Full 55 wheel covers fit fine. Took it to 80 mph with no vibrations and a lot less foot necessary to bring her to a halt. Painless and feeling like a sports car. Thank you, Jim. That, alone, was worth the trip to South Bend in May. Cheers.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

I, too, want to do the Turner conversion for my 64 Champ, but from what I have read, I would have to use non-Studebaker rims, which does not bring me glee. Any alternatives or suggestions?
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
      I, too, want to do the Turner conversion for my 64 Champ, but from what I have read, I would have to use non-Studebaker rims, which does not bring me glee. Any alternatives or suggestions?
      I thought the studebaker disc brake wheels would work with the turner kit.

Comment

Chevrolet half ton truck wheels will work. I used aftermarket aluminum slots after my disk brake conversion. I also did Chevy drums on the rear. It really made the truck a lot nicer to drive.
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
          ... and a lot less foot necessary to bring her to a halt.
          Are you saying that you now need less effort? or less pedal travel? Just curious. Thanks.
          sigpic
          1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post

A combination of wheel spacers and some judicious grinding of the caliper casting allowed me to use the original Studebaker drum brake rims with mine.

Comment

Less effort to stop, R-David. Same pedal travel. The kit calls for removing the valve in the underfloor M/C to avoid pressure build up and locking brakes. Working fine so far. I used brand new Ford Explorer rims and everything fits well. Cheers.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
              X