Teach me about Daytona's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Teach me about Daytona's

I'm looking at a 64 daytona, I see all sorts of posts about different chassis, engines, etc. I can't seem to find much about the interchangeability of parts. For the car I plan on putting disc brakes and an LS series engine/4L60e in it. I'm not sure what other radiators, gas tanks, motor mounts will fit. I see other posts outlining these things but often times they are Larks or earlier model cars. I am trying to figure out what information is relevant to my particular application. Hope that post made sense.

First off, I see a welcome to the "family" is in order since it is a early post for you. First thing you should know is the chassis under Larks and Daytonas 1959 through 66 are the same. 65 & 66 came with the GM engine so mounts to put a GM engine in an earlier chassis are not hard to find, just look for a parts 65 or 66 car. Secondly the wheel base is longer in a 4 door Daytona than a 2 door, so different frame, but same running gear otherwise. The search engine on this forum is great. I have answered a number of questions using this feature. Both stock restoration and modification archives are great. Last sell job I will give you is to join the club. Great bunch of people from all over the world and a neat monthly magazine that's well worth the membership costs.
    Bob
    64 Daytona & 60 Lark Convert
    Bob
    Welland Ontario
    60 Lark Convertible
    64 Daytona
    sigpic
    "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Obtain a Shop Manual and a Parts Manual (body and chassis) - Available from most Stude' vendors (as listed near the back of Turning Wheeks (TW) magazine. It will provide much of the interchange info you are looking for (part numbers and years of application).
      Paul TK

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!! Are the mounts a direct bolt in? I'm trying to find a picture.

Comment

Found a pic!

Comment

An LS motor is a whole different engine than a 350. And I have never tried to put a 4L60E in one, might be problems with the floor boards.

Comment

4L60e and 700r have the same external dimensions and case, I've seen folks put 700's in their Lark's. I know the LS is a different animal than a SBC, but I think I've seen mount kits that use the bottom half of a SBC mount.

Comment

Originally posted by IntrstlarOvrdrve View Post
                4L60e and 700r have the same external dimensions and case, I've seen folks put 700's in their Lark's. I know the LS is a different animal than a SBC, but I think I've seen mount kits that use the bottom half of a SBC mount.
                The LS is the first small block you need to worry about oil pan type. Original SBC's had a rear sump but the LS series has several configurations so I would think you would need to find a rear sump setup to clear the bellcrank.

Pat Dilling (forum member) has one in a 54 coupe body so his info would be helpful. The one difference between your Lark and his coupe is front motor mounts. Studebaker built a conversion mount to use the SBC mounts in a Lark and they are available from vendors "BUT"!!! to use them you would need to go LS mount to SBC mount conversion to Lark mounting stands. It seems inefficient to stack three pieces and expect them to fit. So based on your skills and IIWM I'd just just drop the LS into the engine compartment with it's mounts in place and the Lark mounts removed and see what it looks like.

I'd then mock up a mounting tower to take the LS mount and make a cardboard template to build the frame mount. I'd try to use the Lark location as it is the strongest part of the frame.

As far as the 4L60E, I have one in my 54K and it cleared with some mods. I'll bet it's just a few taps?? here and there in your setup if any. We know CJ radiators fit for SBC installs so a search here will yield what fits and you can then find one similar that can use the LS hose configuration. Same with exhaust. See what it looks like and see what it takes to fit. I'd use an electric fan and tie it into the LS ECM. Here in Michigan I've seen several LS conversions and all of them had a reprogrammed ECM and kept the complete computer control setup. That's the only way I would go.

It may not be for the faint of heart but if I ever do another SBC in Stude conversion, you can bet it will be an LS.

Good Luck, Bob
                Last edited by sweetolbob; 06-11-2014, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X