1960 Champ 259

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1960 Champ 259

Looking for a 259 engine, to rebuild if necessary, for a 1960 Champ 1/2 Ton. 3E9201 up. Any/all leads are much appreciated! Art

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Art. If you have not yet joined SDC you will be amazed at all the good info inside and the high quality of our Monthly Publication "Turning Wheels" and the help from the good people in the local Chapter there.

So you have a MODEL a 5E7 1/2 Ton or 5E12 3/4 Ton '60 Champ V8 then.

Any Stude. 259 or 289 Car or Truck V8 Engine can be dial indicated to center on your V8 Clutch Housing and bolted in.

The folks in Georgia would probably need to know which Town in GA you are in since delivering one of these is not good from a long distance.

Is your present Engine not Rebuildable?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a good 61 or so 259. Let me know where in GA you live. Maybe we could meet halfway.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

60 Champ engine

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Art. If you have not yet joined SDC you will be amazed at all the good info inside and the high quality of our Monthly Publication "Turning Wheels" and the help from the good people in the local Chapter there.

So you have a MODEL a 5E7 1/2 Ton or 5E12 3/4 Ton '60 Champ V8 then.

Any Stude. 259 or 289 Car or Truck V8 Engine can be dial indicated to center on your V8 Clutch Housing and bolted in.

The folks in Georgia would probably need to know which Town in GA you are in since delivering one of these is not good from a long distance.

Is your present Engine not Rebuildable?
        I am a former member but the truck has been sitting for some time in the garage now that we are in Savannah. Engine that came in the truck when purchased was a '62 Lark 259 and can be rebuilt. I have NOS Crank and Camshaft but would rather send the energy read "money" on the correct engine. Everything I have done to the truck has been correct using many NOS parts. Would like to have it correct, if possible. The 3E numbers I listed would be the correct engine series. Will follow all leads. Art

Comment

It IS after all your Truck, YOUR decision but honestly not many in SDC doing International Meet judging will ever look at that Engine Serial Number much less anyone else. So if you have the correct Truck Water Manifold and low compression Heads on any Car Engine it is physically THE SAME as the 3E Standard 259 Truck Engine.

But if it makes you feel better having what COULD BE the matching Numbers that's fine, it just makes it a lot harder to find.

The 3E-9201 starting Serial Number ONLY applies to the STANDARD 259 Engine that was Standard equipment at no charge in a 5E7 or 5E12.

It would take the Production Order to find the EXACT Serial Number and size it came with, and those ARE available.

A H.D. 259, 289 or a HD 289 COULD have been ordered in your Truck.

I have a 6E H.D. 289 truck Engine sitting here, it's a '59.

That Engine is not for sale, I am not trying to sell it, only using it as an example.
          It is an untouched Original from a 1959 4E40 and has a RPM limiting Governor, RotoCap Valve Rotators, H.D. Stelite Tipped Stainless Steel Valves, Aluminum Cam Gear, Clevite 77 Tri-metal H.D. Rod and Center Main Bearings and Low Compression Heads.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-09-2014, 11:25 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Comment

Thanks to all for the input. Price is certainly right on the 289 but I believe I checked by the serial number once and the STD 259 was delivered in the truck. There are some (slight) appearance differences in the 60 Champ and the 62 Lark 259 versions it seems. The oil filter is in a different location etc. etc. I'm also going from memory. Any one can help here? If I should rebuild this motor any advice on "matching it up" to the correct with some parts changes? All responses are welcome! Art

Comment

Most obvious difference between '60 and '62 V8 would be the water pump manifold. '60 had a four bolt, thermostat housing where coolant exits straight out the top - '62 had a two bolt, angled outlet pointing toward the left corner of the engine compartment. Early '62 V8 would have had the by-pass oil filter (if equipped) mounted on the oil filler pipe same as '60. '62 valve covers were two bolt - '60 are four. Other than paint colors, there are probably a few other small differences but it would be pretty easy to make that '62 look like a '60. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for that 62champ. I may contact you for some photo hep to accomplish just that.

Comment

Working...
                  X