material under drip molding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: material under drip molding

I pulled off my Hawk'w drip molding for repainting. I don't think it has ever been removed from the car and it appears there is some sort of white powdery material under it all the way around. Anyone know what it may be? Did Studebaker put some sort of sealant or lube when they installed it?
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Mine had the same thing under it. I figured it must have been the seam sealer they used on the top. It was white also before it was blasted off.

Comment

Seam sealer was used. A lot of times you can see a nicely done car and guess what, they did not redo or reseal the seam around the drip molding. I think they originally used a white lead compound which you can no longer buy. Last several times I have gone to the paint store and got a tube of seam sealer which worked nice.
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I first re-did mine with 3M seam sealer and let that set up for a couple of months. In spite of claims it does shrink just a bit. I then went over it with a finer bead of their Flex 'n' Seal.
        Since then there have been developed even better products by 3M and others. No matter what is used, make certain that seam is first irreproachably clean.
        As Milt indicated, failure to properly seal that roof line means you will never, ever, ever want to get caught in the rain or, bye-bye headliner.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If that is really white lead you must wash your hands very well before you eat a "Twinky"
          Lead poisoning is really bad.
          There are so many environmental hazard in our hobby.
          People that worked with galvanized bolts absorbed zinc into their bodies (bad)
          If you clean parts with gasoline or work on carburetors a lot you can absorb chemicals from the gas through your skin and damage your liver or kidneys.
          Gasoline contains "Benzine" and if you read up about it , you see why.
          The German name for Gasoline is Benzine. Dangerous stuff!
          We used to use carbon tetrachloride for cleaning parts and that was even worse and they came out with Trichloethylene for cleaning parts and that was banned.
          Safety Clean makes a good parts cleaner.
          Be safe and use gloves!

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Thanks ordered some of the 3M Heavy Drip-Check Sealer from Amazon. $13.45 a tube.
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

[QUOTE=Dan White;848937]I pulled off my Hawk's drip molding QUOTE]

Do you mean that you removed the stainless trim on the drip rail around the roof? Did it come off (and will it go back on) without getting beat up?

Comment

Yes I removed the stainless, very very carefully and yes it should go back on very very carefully!
                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

[QUOTE=pbrown;849269]
                  Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                  I pulled off my Hawk's drip molding QUOTE]

Do you mean that you removed the stainless trim on the drip rail around the roof? Did it come off (and will it go back on) without getting beat up?
                  Mine went back on slowly and carefully when you do the seam seal it is good to fill in the same as the factory did....but make sure you leave room for the stainless
                  to clip back over the drip rail, if you don't it is painted before you realize the mistake and harder to repair.

Comment

HAZARDS... I remember carbon tetrachloride fire extinguishers, they were a reversed tear-drop shape and were placed in metal holders on the wall. Just throw it at the base of a small fire & it would go out.
                    I wonder why I can't find them any more?

Comment

So please tell me how you removed the drip rail trim. What tools did you use?
                      Jim

Comment

Personally, I use the bottle opening end of a church key (old beer can opener). Wrap the wide part with tape to protect the molding from more scratches.

Originally posted by Farrier1951 View Post
                        So please tell me how you removed the drip rail trim. What tools did you use?
                        Jim
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Like Jerry said with a bottle opener with tape on it. Once you get it started you can use your fingers. The tough part is putting it back on without denting it.
                          It gets difficult around the corners and you will need to coax it a little bit but it will go back on.

Comment

Working...
                          X