Speedster 1955 exported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster 1955 exported

I know that 81 Speedster were sold outside USA but I wonder how many were sold in Europa and North Africa . Does anybody know where I could find these infos ?
    Also I would be pleased to be contacted by european Speedster owners and even by somebody wanting to sell a Speedster sold new Europe.
    I am a french Studebaker owner (Golden Hawk 1958, Daytona 64 convertible, Commander Starliner 1955).
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Greetings, Olivier. There are some very dedicated historians in the club that might just be able to help. There is a Speedster registry, as well. I'm sort of partial to those Commander "Starliners". After 54 I think they were just called Hardtops, but a rose by any other name is still a rose. Cheers.Click image for larger version

Name:	041.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1690886
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Welcome here, Olivier

You have a nice collection then. Here in Switzerland I know of one or two Studebaker Speedsters 1955.

Regards

Rudy
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Olivier View Post
        I am a french Studebaker owner (Golden Hawk 1958, Daytona 64 convertible, Commander Starliner 1955).
        Any help will be greatly appreciated.
        Your answer may be here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...eedster+france ; but no idea if those three were sold new there.

Did you attend this meet by chance? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...n-France-today

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 06-06-2014, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Olivier,
          Here's some info you asked for
          FACTORY EXPORT SHIPPED SPEEDSTERS, way back in 1955...who knows where they are now.

Africa 5 (3 Morocco, 1 Egypt, 1 Congo)

Asia 1 (japan)

Europe 52 (10 Paris, France, 31 Switzerland *winning country for most exported Speedsters, 4 Portugal)

N. America 15 (Most to Canada)

S. America 7 (6 to Venezeula)

Unknown 1

Please send me message for any known European Speedsters to add to registry (include picture if possible). Thanks.

(This info and much more will be put up on Speedster website in the next year or so -long, long, long project).
          Last edited by 55studeman; 07-05-2014, 02:51 PM.
          Best Regards,
          Eric West
          "The Speedster Kid"
          Sunny Northern California
          Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
          And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
          55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
          55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

There are some in Australia, including one converted to RHD just before the owner died.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Wow, didn't know that Switzerland imported that many Speedsters.

Cool facts.
              sigpic

Comment

The Swiss have excellent taste. Took the North Americans a little longer to warm to the "European" styling of the coupes.

Comment

Originally posted by 55studeman View Post
                  N. America 15 (Most to Canada)
                  I suspect a good many of those 15 went to Cuba.

Craig

Comment

Here in Switzerland a lot of people love Studebakers. At most big shows there is at least one.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, Craig, I know at least 2 that stayed in Canada. There was no embargo on Cuba in 55. It started after 1958. If they were produced after the embargo, I'm sure we be smoking a lot better cigar

Comment

One of the nicest Hialeah Green/Sun Valley Yellow '55 Speedsters on the planet was owned by a fellow from Laterriere, Quebec, Canada (serial # 7154514...6HK7 52) but it was subsequently sold to a fellow from Switzerland. These cars sure get around!

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                          Well, Craig, I know at least 2 that stayed in Canada. There was no embargo on Cuba in 55. It started after 1958. If they were produced after the embargo, I'm sure we be smoking a lot better cigar
                          There were MORE '58 Packard Hawks sold in Cuba than in Canada. (5 in Cuba vs. 3 in Canada)

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            I suspect a good many of those 15 went to Cuba.

Craig
                            Since you asked, here's breakdown:
                            N. America: 15 total Speedsters
                            12 to Canada
                            2 to Cuba
                            1 to Guam
                            Best Regards,
                            Eric West
                            "The Speedster Kid"
                            Sunny Northern California
                            Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                            And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                            55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
                            55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

Thanks for the info, though I figured there would be more than just two that went to Cuba. There were a number of affluent households on that island who would have bought fancier model like a Speedster at the time. Of course that all changed in 1959.

It would be interesting to know the destinations of those 12 Speedsters that came to Canada.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X