No announcement yet.

64 Cruiser..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 64 Cruiser..

What is the 64 Cruiser automatic transmission. Is it durable, service readily available etc. What kind of tune up attention do they need.

Have a line on one, have not driven... owner says sluggish shifting from 1st to 2nd. Body needs paint but looks complete... OK, the wife will kill me but it could always go to the storage lot for a while... waiting for the right moment.

I have always liked them. Good solid car, roomy with decent performance. The reported "sluggish" trans could just need a service with a band adjustment. Remember these are a 2nd gear start so to start in 1st you have to put it in L then shift it into D or floor it in Drive when starting out.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Those Iron case Borg-Warner transmissions are very stout one stick of dynamite probably wouldn't do much damage!
      Racing clutches from an FMX will fit, and the bands can be relined in kevlar, a Turbo 400 34 element sprag fits nicely, they can take over 500 hp when built right.

Stock, they are just as bullet proof , but being 50 years old, rubber servo seals do dry out and harden.
      If they are never serviced, and run hot, and low on oil, then all bets are off.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have owned four 1964 Cruisers, all automatics. Mine were all the basic automatic and I assume that the one that you are considering is also the basic air cooled unit. There was also a heavy duty water cooled unit (AT fluid goes to a radiator tank) and the floor shift AT. The basics of these are all similar. These ATs are like FordOMatics that were put, successfully, into millions of Fords and Mercurys.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Be advised that when the car is put in "D" (Drive) it will start in second gear, not first gear as you might think. This - might - be the sluggishness the owner is stating. You have to deliberately put the car in "L" (Low) to get first gear.

And, as equally important to know, "R" (Reverse) is where Low typically is - all the way to the right. The placement is P N D L R. I use the term "Part Number Dealer" to remember.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

The servicing consists of:

#1 Keep it on the "FULL" mark on the dipstick!

Complete Oil Changes using Type "F" Ford Fluid, the converter HAS a drain plug!

After quite a few miles you can prolong it's life by adjusting the bands.

Pulling the Pan to clean it and replace the Filter Screen.

Probably the most neglected maintenance is the throttle pressure adjustment, when you get a "slip shift" from 2nd. to 3rd. one reason may be Low Throttle Pressure adjustment. This can be affected by mushy rear engine mounts, way overdue for replacement.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

check the fluid level in "D" as the good book says...a nice time to be certain the parking brake works.....

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                Be advised that when the car is put in "D" (Drive) it will start in second gear, not first gear as you might think. This - might - be the sluggishness the owner is stating. You have to deliberately put the car in "L" (Low) to get first gear.

And, as equally important to know, "R" (Reverse) is where Low typically is - all the way to the right. The placement is P N D L R. I use the term "Part Number Dealer" to remember.
                Yes, It's a PiNDLeR as opposed to a PRiNDLe,lol!

Also, it will let you know when it needs to be fed.(BuzzzzzzWhirrrrrrrr..)

Comment

Working...
                X