Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea for the upcoming "Operation Avanti Airlift" Tribute...need some feedback...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for the upcoming "Operation Avanti Airlift" Tribute...need some feedback...

I'll be meeting on the 7th with the people from the Hagerstown Aviation Museum to get final details ironed out for the Avanti/C-82 photo event on the 28th. I should have thought of this before but I happened to think about having some ball caps or patches made up commemorating the event for those participating. I haven't yet checked on costs but would like to put it out there for those interested whether they would like caps and/or patches made up...and how much they would pay for such items so I can find out whether it's even feasible.

I'm not looking to make money on this but I think it would be a nice thing for participants to have. I'm interested in having ball caps and/or patches made for those who participate plus a few extras. I'd like to present one to the gentleman I've been dealing with at the Museum for his assistance in making it happen.

I've dealt with a local graphics business who have done a few things with the Avanti script so that's already in their database. Any artwork commemorating the event would require a setup fee that adds into the cost of product. If there's enough interest I can find out the costs involved depending on the number of hats and/or patches desired.

If anyone is interested please say so and I can see if it can be done economically.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Would have been cool to have another batch of the repro bleacher cushions made like were handed out by Studebaker.
    JS
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Please co-operate with Bruce on this, as we have potential for good Studebaker coverage.

I emphasize that we are not promised anything, but I have exchanged e-mails with Hemmings Editor Richard Lentinello on this and he has expressed an interest in having a good photo of the "reproduction" airlift and a photo of the original ('shouldn't be difficult to come up with at The Museum) for a side-by-side comparison in a future magazine.

No guarantees, but there is an interest, so please assist Bruce (Gunslinger). Thanks. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
        I'll be meeting on the 7th with the people from the Hagerstown Aviation Museum to get final details ironed out for the Avanti/C-82 photo event on the 28th. I should have thought of this before but I happened to think about having some ball caps or patches made up commemorating the event for those participating. I haven't yet checked on costs but would like to put it out there for those interested whether they would like caps and/or patches made up...and how much they would pay for such items so I can find out whether it's even feasible.

I'm not looking to make money on this but I think it would be a nice thing for participants to have. I'm interested in having ball caps and/or patches made for those who participate plus a few extras. I'd like to present one to the gentleman I've been dealing with at the Museum for his assistance in making it happen.

I've dealt with a local graphics business who have done a few things with the Avanti script so that's already in their database. Any artwork commemorating the event would require a setup fee that adds into the cost of product. If there's enough interest I can find out the costs involved depending on the number of hats and/or patches desired.

If anyone is interested please say so and I can see if it can be done economically.
        Sounds like a good idea to me. I would be in for a cap.
        Also, count two for us at Nick's. Haven't been there for a while, but it's well worth the trip. Can you say GOOD Maryland crab cakes?
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Crab cakes? That'll make the 640 mile drive from the Chicago area worth it!!
          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post

This morning's Martinsburg (WV) Journal ran this front page story- ties in nicely to the C-82 effort.

The Journal would probably be interested in covering the Avanti event and I'm sure WHAG-TV Hagerstown will cover it as well as the Hagerstown Herald Mail.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I cannot make what I believe will be this awesome Avanti event, but Bruce please count me in for a cap and updated on anything else. Thanks Mike.
              Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
              Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                This morning's Martinsburg (WV) Journal ran this front page story- ties in nicely to the C-82 effort.

The Journal would probably be interested in covering the Avanti event and I'm sure WHAG-TV Hagerstown will cover it as well as the Hagerstown Herald Mail.
                Paul
                I brought this to Jim Porterfield's attention and he said he would attend. With the son of the owner of the local Studebaker dealership attending the Journal could put a local spin on it as well. The demo Avanti that was here in town was well "test drove" on its short stay. If I remember correctly, it was teal in color.

Comment

The cushions are currently being reproduced and should be ready for sale in Dover.

Denny L

Comment

I had great news earlier today...a member of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the AOAI was ahead of me on the ball cap thing...he's already had some commemorative caps made and will likely do some patches as well. The number he's had done is pretty limited but maybe if demand is there he could have more made up.

That has taken a big load off of me with getting everything coordinated for the event at the Hagerstown Aviation Museum.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

That's great Ron. It's good to have you (and Jim) involved. It's getting better all the time.

Comment

I have prepared and published a photo book of the Actual Operation Airlift event. It contains over 40 factory photos and shows most if not all of the events. If anyone is interested in purchasing a copy please send me an email avantifromct@aol.com for details. Thanks
                        John Hull

Comment

I wonder if the New York Times would make a large format reprint of the photo they published a few months ago: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=airlift

Craig

Comment

Working...
                          X