dry air cleaner needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry air cleaner needed

Well, neither Studebaker International nor Studebakerswap nor Studebakerparts.com seems to have a dry air cleaner of the type for my '53 Commander. SI advertises the part, here:

and I tried to order one, but they don't have any and don't seem to think they're going to get any in.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Matt check your PM's doesn't your car have a back draft carb? if so the dry type in the picture is for a down draft, I might have on but need to look.....Bob
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Matt, there is one on for sale on ebay.

Mark

Comment

I have a few nice used ones....
        Jeff

Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Filters.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1690824

Originally posted by handworn View Post
        Well, neither Studebaker International nor Studebakerswap nor Studebakerparts.com seems to have a dry air cleaner of the type for my '53 Commander. SI advertises the part, here:

and I tried to order one, but they don't have any and don't seem to think they're going to get any in.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The shop manual says my carb is a WWUVL-26 Stromberg double-barrel downdraft carburetor, and that it can take either the oil bath ("wet") type of air cleaner, which is what arrived with the car (typical of cars from west of the Mississippi, as I understand it) or the dry air cleaner shown in the manual's images of the engine, which is part no. 533023. That's the kind on eBay-- thanks, Mark!-- even to the correct part number for a '53 V-8-- and which I'll buy if you don't have one of that exact part number, Bob.

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
          Matt check your PM's doesn't your car have a back draft carb? if so the dry type in the picture is for a down draft, I might have on but need to look.....Bob

Comment

That is, I'll buy one on eBay unless Jeff has one of the right part number that he's willing to part with for less. Thanks, Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by handworn View Post
              That is, I'll buy one on eBay unless Jeff has one of the right part number that he's willing to part with for less. Thanks, Jeff.
              Is the number marked right on the air cleaner?

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, it's on the back of the part that connects to the carburetor (i.e. not the fat part, the other end). Take a look at the eBay photos, doing the zoom thing:

Comment

Be real careful. The 6 cyl looks the same, except the threaded hole where the bracket fits is in a different location. You can just see the threaded hole off center to left at very bottm in this picture. This one is in the position it goes on the car. If 6 cyl were in this position the hole would be almost half way up on ac.

Last edited by Flashback; 05-30-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks! This is where having the chassis parts catalog comes in handy; the dry air cleaner for the Champion has part number 533022, not '023. It's good to know the difference should the part number not be on one of these A/Cs.

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                    Be real careful. The 6 cyl looks the same, except the threaded hole where the bracket fits is in a different location. You can just see the threaded hole off center to left at very bottm in this picture. This one is in the position it goes on the car. If 6 cyl were in this position the hole would be almost half way up on ac.

Comment

I found eight, and four have no dents...
                      Can put together a decent one with a cover, wing nut, and that little bracket and bolt (see pic)
                      Ebay was at 79, 75, 75, 59, and 45

I'll go $50 plus postage, whatever that is.

It'll need prep and paint...but will be a decent piece.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6754.JPG
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1690825 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6755.JPG
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1690826 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6756.JPG
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1690827 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6757.JPG
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1690828 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6758.JPG
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1690829

Jeff

Comment

There ya go. Jeff's got you covered at a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                          There ya go. Jeff's got you covered at a good price.
                          Oh for the good old days. In 1972 I picked up at Standard Surplus the compete assembly for my '53 Commander for $4.95. They had a stack of them.
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

IIRC, there is a difference between the sedan unit and the C/K unit. The bracket that holds the cleaner assembly to the rocker arm cover is different. I remember the rest of the assembly as being the same. A correct bracket can be made up (easier if you have one to copy).

The carb. is a downdraft unit, not a sidedraft or backdraft unit, as some refer to it. It gets this misnomer since the air horn makes a 90 degree turn and its entrance is to the rear of the engine.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you look at the pictures in post #11 you can see a 533023 and a 533023X2

Is this the difference between the sedan and C/K ?

I do not have the parts books handy at the house.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Working...
                              X