PDA

View Full Version : New EDSEL book

Studedude1961
10-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Anyone interested in the Edsel might be interested in knowing that a very comprehensive book is now out called "Disaster in Dearborn: The Story of the Edsel" by Thomas E. Bonsall. Mr. Bonsall is the author of the very good, "More Than They Promised: The Studebaker Story." I just received the Edsel book two days ago and have just started reading it, but a cursory look reveals TONS of pictures of every conceivable Edsel styling study and all the personalities involved in the development and execution of Edsel, including James Nance, late of Studebaker-Packard. The book starts out taking a close look at Edsel Ford and details the development of the middle-price field. The book then builds up to the introduction of the Edsel, its failure and aftermath of the Edsel. This book is hardcover and just as attractive as Mr. Bonsall's earlier Studebaker book. Cost is about $35. I am looking forward to reading the book and learning more about the first car that got me interested in the old car hobby.

John Waddell
Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Swifster
10-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks John! I like reading about the auto industry and it's movers and shakers. I'll stop by Borders Books and pick up a copy :).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/rollingpi.gif http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/01-01-05TheStartingPoint.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/07-17-07FrontClipRemoved.jpg

Swifster
10-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks John! I like reading about the auto industry and it's movers and shakers. I'll stop by Borders Books and pick up a copy :).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/rollingpi.gif http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/01-01-05TheStartingPoint.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/07-17-07FrontClipRemoved.jpg

Laemmle
10-10-2007, 11:16 PM
The greatest automotive book I have ever read was "Chrysler, the life and times of an automotive genius".......what a book.....tons of Studebaker info there.....

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Tom - Valrico, FL

Laemmle
10-10-2007, 11:16 PM
The greatest automotive book I have ever read was "Chrysler, the life and times of an automotive genius".......what a book.....tons of Studebaker info there.....

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Tom - Valrico, FL

Chris Pile
10-10-2007, 11:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Well spoken!! It covers Walt's rise from locomotive wiper to railroad president, then real estate developer (Chrysler Building) and automotive CEO who once again learned from the bottom up.
This guy was a Captain of Industry in 2 industries! Amazing guy.

Chris Pile
The Studebaker Special
Midway Chapter SDC

Chris Pile
10-10-2007, 11:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Well spoken!! It covers Walt's rise from locomotive wiper to railroad president, then real estate developer (Chrysler Building) and automotive CEO who once again learned from the bottom up.
This guy was a Captain of Industry in 2 industries! Amazing guy.

Chris Pile
The Studebaker Special
Midway Chapter SDC

Chucks Stude
10-11-2007, 07:15 AM
A good recent "who done it" is the book entitled "Hell of a Ride" by the automotive editor of the Detroit Free Press. It is subtitled something like "How Daimler Benz rode into town and rode out with Chrysler". It is a fascinating read, and talks about Lutz, who is now at GM, and a lot of the personalities that were involved. Good read.

Chucks Stude
10-11-2007, 07:15 AM
A good recent "who done it" is the book entitled "Hell of a Ride" by the automotive editor of the Detroit Free Press. It is subtitled something like "How Daimler Benz rode into town and rode out with Chrysler". It is a fascinating read, and talks about Lutz, who is now at GM, and a lot of the personalities that were involved. Good read.

8E45E
10-11-2007, 07:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

Anyone interested in the Edsel might be interested in knowing that a very comprehensive book is now out called "Disaster in Dearborn: The Story of the Edsel" by Thomas E. Bonsall. Mr. Bonsall is the author of the very good, "More Than They Promised: The Studebaker Story." I just received the Edsel book two days ago and have just started reading it, but a cursory look reveals TONS of pictures of every conceivable Edsel styling study and all the personalities involved in the development and execution of Edsel, including James Nance, late of Studebaker-Packard. The book starts out taking a close look at Edsel Ford and details the development of the middle-price field. The book then builds up to the introduction of the Edsel, its failure and aftermath of the Edsel. This book is hardcover and just as attractive as Mr. Bonsall's earlier Studebaker book. Cost is about $35. I am looking forward to reading the book and learning more about the first car that got me interested in the old car hobby.

John Waddell
Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

I would also recommend The Rise And Fall of the Packard Motor Car Company by James A. Ward. It is a great read, and has lots of Studebaker related info as you would expect. Like the Bonsell Studebaker book, it is also published by Stamford University Press.

Craig

8E45E
10-11-2007, 07:59 AM

John Waddell
Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

I would also recommend The Rise And Fall of the Packard Motor Car Company by James A. Ward. It is a great read, and has lots of Studebaker related info as you would expect. Like the Bonsell Studebaker book, it is also published by Stamford University Press.

Craig

JBOYLE
10-11-2007, 10:53 AM
If I may be permitted to plug a book published by another club I belong to...

The Splendid Stutz, is a quality hardback (with a color photo section) outlining the company, its models, racing history and the story of its founder, Harry Stutz and the other great men behind the firm.

What makes it fun is that irt was written by club members, each an expert in their respective areas. It won a major automotive book award when it was released. Not bad for a club that had about 400 members when the book was published.

After reading some of the members posts here, I'd wager that a similar Studebaker book could be done with the club members level of expertise.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

JBOYLE
10-11-2007, 10:53 AM
If I may be permitted to plug a book published by another club I belong to...

The Splendid Stutz, is a quality hardback (with a color photo section) outlining the company, its models, racing history and the story of its founder, Harry Stutz and the other great men behind the firm.

What makes it fun is that irt was written by club members, each an expert in their respective areas. It won a major automotive book award when it was released. Not bad for a club that had about 400 members when the book was published.

After reading some of the members posts here, I'd wager that a similar Studebaker book could be done with the club members level of expertise.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

Bill Pressler
10-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Bonsall's Edsel book is a great book and a pretty easy read, and full of great photos of Edsel styling exercises. It's been out for a few years. I was pleased when I bought it, to see that author Bonsall remembers seeing his first Edsel at the dealer in the town where I now live, Kent, Ohio, which sort-of makes one think he must be from around these parts.

Bill Pressler

John Waddell
Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Bill Pressler
10-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Bonsall's Edsel book is a great book and a pretty easy read, and full of great photos of Edsel styling exercises. It's been out for a few years. I was pleased when I bought it, to see that author Bonsall remembers seeing his first Edsel at the dealer in the town where I now live, Kent, Ohio, which sort-of makes one think he must be from around these parts.

Bill Pressler

John Waddell
Studedude1961
--1963 Cruiser

Bill Pressler
10-13-2007, 09:55 AM
I, too, think Ward's book on Packard is excellent. A good bit of it deals with the merger years with Studebaker, and I have found it is pretty unbiased, as it was largely researched with records from the SNM and puts the blame pretty evenly on the many things which contributed to Packard's demise (i.e., doesn't blame Studebaker for everything!)

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH

Craig
[/quote]

Bill Pressler
10-13-2007, 09:55 AM
I, too, think Ward's book on Packard is excellent. A good bit of it deals with the merger years with Studebaker, and I have found it is pretty unbiased, as it was largely researched with records from the SNM and puts the blame pretty evenly on the many things which contributed to Packard's demise (i.e., doesn't blame Studebaker for everything!)

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH

Craig
[/quote]