Steering boxes for C/K models 53-64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering boxes for C/K models 53-64

Would like to know the make and model number/ratio lock to lock of the steering boxes used in the 53-64, 6 and V8 C/K cars. It is is a tall order but I hope someone can help. thank you cheers jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

I am pretty sure those '57-'64 Commander C&K/V8 Hawk, Ross Model SL were all the same with the same ratio.
    The Shop Manual may tell the Ratio.

The 4 1/2 Turns Number seems to ring a bell, but not sure.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My 55 shop manual shows the unit to be a Ross but does not mention the model number. This is what I would like to know. Also, does a 6 cylinder C/K use the same steering gear as a V8? cheers jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Hey JIM. The 53-64 are not the same. I think 53-56 is? The noticable difference is the sag has a big adjustmet nut on the bottom. The ross dosen't. It has a 3 bolt retainer on top where the mast jacket slides on. Most eights had ross and sixes had sag. Here's a "not so good picture" of when I was rebuilding a sag to go in my 53. Hope this helps. Need to know a lock to lock I will check some in the shop?

Saginaw in foreground and Ross in background

Comment

I've never seen a Saginaw like that in a C/K. That type Sag box came in 62 and up Larks. The C/K always had a Ross boxes along with the Avantis
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
            I've never seen a Saginaw like that in a C/K. That type Sag box came in 62 and up Larks. The C/K always had a Ross boxes along with the Avantis
            I believe Flashback is correct, and my 54 Champion came equipped with the Saginaw box. cheers, junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Flashback is correct. I switched the Ross box that came with my V8 powered 54 hardtop with a Saginaw box from the same year. World of difference! Get a Saginaw box if possible.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Does make one wonder; if the Saginaw box is so superior, why install it in the CASO sixes and give the inferior Ross to the upmarket eights?

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Just trying to learn of the different steering systems in the C/K models. This topic will be noteworthy. Please add what you all can. THANK YOU ALL THAT HAVE REPLIED. jimmijim.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    Does make one wonder; if the Saginaw box is so superior, why install it in the CASO sixes and give the inferior Ross to the upmarket eights?
                    jack vines

The only thing that makes any sense at all, if any could be made of this, is that the slower V8 Ross should be easier to turn with the added weight of the V8, than the quicker Saginaw used on lighter Six Cyl. Cars.

Which would be the opposite of one reason why Flashback changed his for the faster Box.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

According to my 1951-54 chassis parts manual, both the Ross TL and the Saginaw were used on C-K models during those years. All the LA models appear to have used the Ross box. My 53 Champion had a Ross steering box.
                      Dave Nevin
                      Corvallis, OR
                      1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I think the Ross boxes were SL followed by perhaps the number 54. Can anybody verify this or correct/comment on this. cheers jimmijim

Comment

Yes, my original '54 Champion "K" has the Saginaw box. Steers great, too!

Comment

To me, there isn't much difference between Saginaw & Ross manual steering. Except maybe the Saginaw manual steering box on 56J, that is 5.25 turns lock-to-lock, IIRC.

Its the Saginaw v. Bendix power steering setups that are worlds apart.

Comment

Working...
                            X