White exhaust smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White exhaust smoke

Working on getting this '64 R1 Daytona roadworthy again and have developed a problem with white exhaust smoke. Here is what I know so far:

46,000 original miles on the original motor -never been opened up
    Engine idles great has great throttle response and runs very strong
    Does not appear to be loosing coolant
    The plugs all looked great
    Completely cleaned and flushed fuel system and running on fresh Premium
    Completely cleaned rebuilt and ajusted the carb
    Compression reads:
    The white exhaust is coming out of both pipes equally and does not have a sweet smell. It seems to be getting worse the more I run the car. So what do you guys think -am I dealing with bad valve stems here or ????? Thanks in advance for everyones input. -Will

Do you have power brakes? White smoke can be an indication of brake fluid being sucked into the booster and from there through the vacuum line to the intake manifold. Check your master cylinder fluid level. If it is low, pull the vacuum line off the booster and see if it is wet inside.

Terry

Comment

Do you have power brakes? White smoke can be an indication of brake fluid being sucked into the booster and from there through the vacuum line to the intake manifold. Check your master cylinder fluid level. If it is low, pull the vacuum line off the booster and see if it is wet inside.

Terry

Comment

This is just a "WAG" (wild a** guess), given the info you've already posted. If your car has a power brake booster, diaconnect the hose at the intake manifold and cap the fitting. It sounds like it might be brake fluid.[:0] Again, just a WAG. Hope this helps. Oh well,,,too slow at the keyboard.

Dan Miller
        Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
        Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

This is just a "WAG" (wild a** guess), given the info you've already posted. If your car has a power brake booster, diaconnect the hose at the intake manifold and cap the fitting. It sounds like it might be brake fluid.[:0] Again, just a WAG. Hope this helps. Oh well,,,too slow at the keyboard.

Dan Miller
          Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

No power brakes, but looking over previous posts I read something about the tranny modulator. This car is equipped with the water cooled HD FOM. Any easy way to rule out this possibility?? It seems like whatever it is it's getting into the intake manifold somehow. This car sat for a long time but was always garaged and started occasionally.

Roadracelark: Do you have any video footage of you racing your car posted on the net? If so, I'd love to check it out

Comment

No power brakes, but looking over previous posts I read something about the tranny modulator. This car is equipped with the water cooled HD FOM. Any easy way to rule out this possibility?? It seems like whatever it is it's getting into the intake manifold somehow. This car sat for a long time but was always garaged and started occasionally.

Roadracelark: Do you have any video footage of you racing your car posted on the net? If so, I'd love to check it out

Comment

IF IT HAS A MODULATOR DIS COONECT VAC LINE PLUG IT THEN RUN ENGINE IT WILL TAKE WHILE CLEAN IT OUT BIT THE SMOKE WILL DIMINISH

Comment

IF IT HAS A MODULATOR DIS COONECT VAC LINE PLUG IT THEN RUN ENGINE IT WILL TAKE WHILE CLEAN IT OUT BIT THE SMOKE WILL DIMINISH

Comment

Not really sure what a modulator is, what it looks like and or if this transmission is equipped with one -I'm more of a manual guy. I looked around the intake and didn't see anything that appeared to be tied into the transmission system. What I read was that white smoke can occur when the engine vacuum sucks tranny fluid into the intake. Seems like the most likely possibility based on everything else but still not sure how to rule it out. I looked over the chassis book and didn't see anything about a modulator, but I may have missed it. Thanks again for everyones input.

Comment

Not really sure what a modulator is, what it looks like and or if this transmission is equipped with one -I'm more of a manual guy. I looked around the intake and didn't see anything that appeared to be tied into the transmission system. What I read was that white smoke can occur when the engine vacuum sucks tranny fluid into the intake. Seems like the most likely possibility based on everything else but still not sure how to rule it out. I looked over the chassis book and didn't see anything about a modulator, but I may have missed it. Thanks again for everyones input.

Comment

Auto fluid will burn white. Pull the line off at the modulator and check for wetness inside. If it is, obviously change the modulator. It will take a while for the smoke to stop.

Terry

Comment

Auto fluid will burn white. Pull the line off at the modulator and check for wetness inside. If it is, obviously change the modulator. It will take a while for the smoke to stop.

Terry

Comment

On the back of the trans. case just above the pan rail about 1" on the drivers side there is a metal can with a hose going to the center of it. That's it.

Comment

On the back of the trans. case just above the pan rail about 1" on the drivers side there is a metal can with a hose going to the center of it. That's it.

Comment

Working...
                              X