2 speed wipers on the 52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 speed wipers on the 52

After a bit of reconditioning and cleaning I got a 2 speed, 12 volt wiper motor mounted on the 52. My brother gave me a 2 speed switch and I made a harness to hook everything to power.

I hooked everything up, and after correcting a mistake on reading the wiring diagram, the wipers run on low and high and park when switched off. This was with the switch in my hand.
    When I put the switch in the dash the wipers park on high. Any ideas?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

That's Really Cool! Can You Come And Do Mine Now?

Dean.

Comment

I'd love to be able to do it. Do you need yours to work on high?
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yes But Only About Two Times A Year!
        Ineed A New Electric Motor For Mine. The Plastic Gear Inside Is Bad.
        I Checked OnGetting Another One And They Were To Expensive Compared To Where they Were On My Priority list.

Dean.

Comment

[QUOTE=52-fan;846074I hooked everything up, and after correcting a mistake on reading the wiring diagram, the wipers run on low and high and park when switched off. This was with the switch in my hand.
          When I put the switch in the dash the wipers park on high. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

hmmmm...first inclination would be to check for ground or shorting to the metal dash. good luck junior
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Maybe a ground issue, the 6volt switches went to/interrupted ground rather than "hot" as on 12v systems.

Comment

Success. Touching the body of the switch to ground made no difference so I knew something had to be touching under the dash. I took a piece of the same dense foam I used to make my trunk base gaskets and made an insulating wrap for the switch and wires. Installed the switch and the wipers work on both speeds and park as they should.

The wiper knob is a generic. I have some correct tan knobs somewhere and will replace the stranger.
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

A little follow up on this post. I still had not found my correct knob and was using the generic black one when I arrived at the Orphan Car Show last Friday. 41 Frank walks over and hands me the correct tan knob. A prince of a fellow!
                Attached Files
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out. Leonard never had wipers on it (but did keep a bottle of Rain-X handy).

Comment

I was glad to have good wipers on the Branson trip. We drove though a light mist off and on the whole way. I only used high a few times, but low speed got a good workout.
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                    X