Update on '62 taxi.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on '62 taxi.

Yesterday evening, I got the old beast started again, after it having sat for nigh-on four weeks. Took a few shots of priming the carb before the fuel saw fit to draw gas up to the carburetor, but it eventually did. Gas gauge even works; the 2-3 gallons I put in it earlier got the needle off the "E" peg. I did an orbit around the yard once it had warmed up a little, and it made quite a cloud of blue smoke when I hit the accelerator hard on low gear coming up out of the dip in the bottom of the yard. Probably needs an overhaul. Definitely needs a reseal, and new frost plugs. I brought it up by the shop, and aired up the tires, and took my D/A sander, and scuffed paint off the doors. No sign of any cab company logo, but the front doors are blue underneath, like the front clip, so I suspect they were changed, after the car left cab service. Shot some black spray paint on the sanded areas, and parked it.

I have decided that I have done all that I will do with this car. Not going to do the brakes, for sure, or the exhaust, or the front end, or any body work. Might install the back window, since I got one from Francis, and it will help prevent further deterioration of the body, but that's it. It would be a huge time sink for me to restore it, or even attempt to make a driver of it, especially when I have more deserving candidates in the queue. So it's available to anyone who wants to make an offer for it. I paid $300 for it, as a parts car, so I'd like to get at least that from it. I used a good serviceable used clutch in it; no new parts so far.

To recap: it's a 1962 Lark taxicab, Y5 I think, 289, 4 barrel carb, dual exhaust, T85 straight 3-speed, heavy duty shocks and suspension, and a 3.31 Twin Traction axle. Finned drums all around. Gauge package, and "door ajar" lamp (works, too!) and two zippers in the headliner, which is NOT good. It's a long-wheelbase sedan like a Cruiser, but lacks the opening vent windows in the rear doors. And there is a little splitter box on the speedometer drive, so a taximeter can be run off it. Engine runs strong, and seems to hold decent oil pressure when warm. I think a top-end overhaul would smarten it up pretty nicely, although I would certainly be open to replacing bearing shells while it is torn down.

It is now going to sit, barring the rear window install, which I will tackle some day when I have a helper available. If a need for the parts in it occurs, I will part it out with no regrets, because it is in pretty tough shape, body-wise at least. But I won't part it out just for the sake of parting it out.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Gord, is it a floor shift, or a column shift? (Not asking because I am interested in buying, but just because I'm curious. )
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
      So it's available to anyone who wants to make an offer for it. I paid $300 for it, as a parts car, so I'd like to get at least that from it. I used a good serviceable used clutch in it; no new parts so far.
      Got to add in the $35 cost of the Production Order! The official documentation of it being a taxi-package car has to be worth at least that much (300+35)!!

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 05-24-2014, 04:16 AM.

Comment

It is a column shift. I know they made 3-speed floor shift transmissions for '65 - '66 cars, because I have one.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
        X