1960 Lark Radio noise condensers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Lark Radio noise condensers

I am looking for a diagram for placement of the noise condenser for a 1960 6 cylinder engine( AM radio)
    Thanks ED Bauer

I don't have a '60 Lark, but on my '53 Commander, I have the condenser on the Armature post of the generator. My generic automotive troubleshooting & repair manual says it should be on the "B" terminal of the coil as well.
    Good Luck!

Comment

My Champ has an additional condenser on the voltage regulator - so much noise...

Comment

Your Lark should have a capacitor on the battery terminal of the voltage regulator, the positive terminal of the ignition coil and the armature terminal of the generator. If you are installing noise suppressor capacitors, use new ones as the ones that are 50+ years old are probably bad. NAPA has replacement capacitors and the part number is RC1. Also if you don't have suppressor spark plug leads installed, I recommend using them too. Also be sure that you have a good ground connection between the engine block and the frame and to the car body as bad ground connections can cause problems with radio noise. Bud

Comment

I don't have ignition noise on my 1953 radio... but there is another problem... Since Scott Shannon took the True Oldies Channel off line, there in NO AM music radio station within range... let alone tunes from the '50's
          Talk radio is NOT what I want to hear while cruzin'

Comment

You can also adjust the antenna trimmer. This technique "tunes" the radio to the characteristics of the individual antenna and car body for maximum signal transfer from the antenna to the radio.

On the 60 radio, it should be accessible after removing the manual tuning knobs. The technique is:
            -wait until after dark
            -antenna up
            -ignition key in ACCESSORY position
            -radio playing softly, so you can just barely hear it
            -pick out a weak station on the upper end of the dial - not a strong station poorly tuned in, but a weak station tuned in as well as possible
            -adjust the trimmer for maximum volume
            -if you get a significant increase in volume by adjusting the trimmer, you can do it again on an even weaker station.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
            X