Planning A Trip To California In A Stude Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning A Trip To California In A Stude Hawk

We were planning a trip to Cali this summer with the entire family (wife and three adolescents). Long story, but it now looks like only the two boys and I will be able to go. With all five, we'd have taken the (boring) Honda Odyssey, but with just the three of us, it will definitely be one of the Hawks.

Plan is to take the southern route going out, and the northern coming back. Will visit family & friends in Oceanside, Los Angeles, Monterey and 29 Palms. The boys have never been out west, so we'll also do as much sightseeing as time permits, i.e. Grand Canyon and Yellow Stone.

I hate to drive anything red or blue around LA (due to bloods & crips), but will probably take the red & white 62 GT or blue & white 56J. The 56J's rear seat is not as comfortable as a GT, but may swap a GT rear seat in for the trip. The best part (and I consider myself extremely lucky) is that either of the cars are up to the trip, and I've made the same trip several times in them over the years. The black & white GT, with 700R, would be a candidate, but I'd have to talk the wife into letting me borrow it

Plan is to leave on June 6th, and be back by the 18th. My 13 year old is the shutterbug of the family, and will make sure he takes lots of pix, with the Stude in the background, to post here
    Last edited by JoeHall; 05-18-2014, 03:57 AM.

Sounds like a fun memorable trip. Those boys will NEVER forget it. My son still talks about a few adventures we took out west picking up Studebaker's. Even though they were only a week or less in length he seems to remember them as being months long.
    The only thing I would tell you is to check your axles for cracks. After snapping one off I am a bit paranoid especially with family on board. Not a pleasant experience.

Comment

Have a safe & nice trip.

Comment

After you leave Williams, AZ, the jump off town on I-40 for the Grand Canyon, you will come to Seligman, AZ. If you choose to travel part of the way on Route 66, take off there and you'll end up in Kingman. Good road and your sons can say they've been on that famous road.

20 miles off of I-40 at Exit 9 is where I live, Lake Havasu City, AZ and it's the home of the London Bridge. Several photo op places to get the bridge in the background.

Have a safe trip.

Comment

Have a good trip Joe, hopefully you will not be going into the Ghetto or east LA, so you and your Blue or Red Hawk will be fine.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I too will be heading down to California on June 14th and will be returning to Oregon on the 23rd. I'll keep a look out for ya. I'll be driving a tan 1961 Champ 1/2 ton pick up. Heading through the Bay area to Santa Maria. Wave if you see me.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Children around here are in school until June 27-28. I know that they get out earlier in the South. One thing is that you do not have to plan for so many snow days off.

Have a good trip.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If anyone is planning to go to the "The house that the mouse built" (Disneyland) in Anaheim, CA......they just announce their normal "just in time for summer" price hike to: $96.00 per ticket, for those over 10 years of age, for just Disneyland.....now if you want to park hop, between Disneyland and California Adventure Land, prepare to spend $150 per ticket, if over 10.

The rates take effect this Sunday, May 25 2014!

The official notification: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/0...ore-expensive/

Comment

"prepare to spend $150 per ticket, if over 10"

And to think Stude Rich was concern that he might get robbed!
                  '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I am starting to become stoked about the trip, but sad that the whole family cannot go. Still, looking forward to some quality time with the two boys, and with my older son (by first wife) out in Reseda, CA.

Rich, in the mid-late 1990s, about once a month the wife & I used to hop in a Stude and trek 150 miles from 29 Palms to South Central LA area. There is a HUGE Japanese store there called "Marukai" (I used to call it "Japanese WalMart"). The wife, being Japanese, loved to shop there, and we'd load the Stude down with a month's supply of Japanese stuff.
                    While in the area, we'd often drop by Bill Oliver's place in Long Beach, and sometimes Ed Reynolds', which was just a stone's throw from Bill's.
                    But I was always in either the red or blue Stude, and made sure to finish everything and get outta Dodge before sunset. I witnessed some gang related stuff in San Diego once, and again just south of Fresno, and believe an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Geezer, we may stop in Lake Havasu, time permitting.

Eddie it looks like you'll be entering Cali about same time we will be exiting. But we'll keep a look out for you

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      The rates take effect this Sunday, May 25 2014!
                      Just in time for Dad's birthday!!!

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                      "prepare to spend $150 per ticket, if over 10"
                      And to think Stude Rich was concern that he might get robbed!
                      Dad will get over it. Why do you ask?
                      Well, this afternoon he left for a week long vaca in the other direction!!!
                      Look out Canada...

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Is that a Sky Hawk or Golden Hawk? I can't tell 'cause the picture's too small.
                        Originally posted by EssexExport View Post
                        Have a safe & nice trip.
                        peter lee

Comment

When I was a kid we drive from Queens, New York to LA in my father's maroon 1946 Chevy. I got permission to miss school for 6 weeks (yaaaay!), but they gave me lessons and our passenger tutored me. What an experience. Unfortunately we had to drive through the segregated south, but otherwise it was among the best educational experience of my life. Have a safe trip.
                          peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                            The 56J's rear seat is not as comfortable as a GT, but may swap a GT rear seat in for the trip.
                            Will a GT Hawk rear seat fit into a '56 without getting high-centered in the middle?

Anyway, enjoy the trip!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              Will a GT Hawk rear seat fit into a '56 without getting high-centered in the middle?

Anyway, enjoy the trip!

Craig
                              I have a front & rear seat from a mid-60s Lark, freshly re-upholstered. Am thinking it could be made to fit the 56J, though it may require some modification. Even with that problem conquered, the AC does not blow back in to the rear seat area as well on the 56J as it does in the GT. This is due to the 56J's bench front seat, versus the GT's bucket seats with a wide gap between. With the GT, the AC can blow straight rearward into the back seat area. That's kinda important, going into the southwest.

Comment

Working...
                              X