What lube should be used in T86 w/OD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: What lube should be used in T86 w/OD

What is the recommended today lube for a T86 W/OD ?

There are numerous posts here about the Manual Trans. needing NON-extreme pressure EP additive approx. 90Wt. Mineral Gear Oil.

It must be GL1 80W-90 or straight 90. NAPA and Farm Equipment/Supply Stores have it in Gallons. If not Order it.

Your Standard on the shelf Rear Axle, Hypoid Gear Oil is GL4 or GL5 (EP) fine for Rear Axles, but NOT Transmissions.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've been using Amsoil synthetic 75W-90 manual transmission oil in both 3 speed and 4 speed Studebaker transmissions for the past few years and I'm really happy with the results. The oil is specifically formulated to be used in manual transmissions with yellow metal parts in them and should not be used where an extreme pressure lubricant is recommended such as differentials. Bud

Comment

Here's what the book says:

You can get this at tractor supply companies.

Comment

I just changed the fluid in my old tractor,although mine is a Massy Ferguson, not a Ford, it uses the same GL-1 90W. It came in 5 gal.buckets from a local oil wholesaler at about $10.00 per gallon. I needed 7 gal.but had to buy 10, so I put the rest away for my overdrives.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

The 40 wt.engine oil for the transmission should also be NON-additive, straight mineral. It is available at small airports that have an FBO (service facility for light aircrasuch as single engine personal craft). It must be specified when purchasing since they carry several different types of engine oil. The oil i obtained was Shell Aero - However, other brands will also be available depending on the dealer (usually they sell only one brand of oil, fuel, etc.) it is a bit pricey at about $6.00 a quart, but only a pint or so is needed, so it is enough for about two refills.
            Paul TK

Comment

Working...
            X