Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Power Hawk

I found this ad in the past week or so:

I note that one of the major gauges appears to have been replaced with a vacuum gauge. I presume that this was a tach originally. Are tachs hard to come by?

Not too hard, nice 56.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Actually It would not have had a tachometer originally. That area would be blank plate or "dummy" gauge. The clock over by the glove box is also an option.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Always wondered, since the clock was a common option on all four, was the tachometer actually available as an option?

Nice to know, but irrelevant, as CASOs wouldn't have ordered it anyway; the 4-bbl/dual exhaust power pack was an inexpensive option, but most of the Power Hawks I've seen were 2-bbl/single exhaust.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Maybe a lot of Los Angeles Area buyers had just a couple nickels more than some places, with 5 or 6 Aircraft Plants nearby.
          The Dealer Dad worked at always ordered the Power Hawks/Silver Hawks with the Padded Dash and Deluxe Steering Wheel, and sometimes P/S, Power Kit and Clock. They looked a lot less CHEAP, already having the Rubber Floor Mat.

Yes the Tach was an option but seldom ordered on the lesser Hawks.
          You do know there is a hole in the center behind the faceplate for the small 2 inch Vacuum Gauge so you could still have one when adding the Tach.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm debating going to look at the car. It's about a three hour drive from me. If it's as good as described in the ad it's probably a pretty good price. That would be about US$14,500 at today's exchange rate.

Comment

John, that's probably at $10,000 car at best. Come to an Ontario chapter or Hamilton chapter meet and let folks know what you are interested in.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
              X