Where not to put your fuel filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where not to put your fuel filter

About a year ago I bought this 1957 President Classic to have a project to work on when I am in California, which is the time of the year in Montana when the skiing is either bad or non-existent, the fly fishing is not open, (I don't do ice fishing, it is too cold for me), and when the hunting season is closed. Today it is too hot in Los Angeles (100 F) to work on the car, so I decided to post my recent good and bad experiences. This President came with a plastic filter in the line between the gas tank and the fuel pump, just in front of the left front wheel. I did not think much of this, and after sitting for a while, like during hunting season, the car would not start. The first time, last year, I blew out the line and thought maybe the steel line was crushed, so I straightened it out without causing leaks. Then I let the car sit for another 3 months. It wouldn't start again. This time, after a series of different hookups from the gas tank to the fuel pump using flexible plastic hose, I finally figured out that the problem was an air gap, similar to a vapor lock in effect, in the fuel filter. This I corrected by buying about 18 inches of 5/8 inch gas hose and a new fuel filter, placed in its correct location between the pump and the carburetor.

I will post the "adventure" which caused me to drain and replace my oil, in my next post, which will appear "above" this one, labeled, "Why not to forget to allow gas to gravity drain into your engine."

Click image for larger version

Name:	old fuel filter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1743416 Click image for larger version

Name:	new fuel filter.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1743417
    sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

I believe that I have been on a very similar adventure with my 63 Lark.

Comment

I put one of those glass filters that unscrew apart in front of the fuel pump (right next to it) & the metal ones in front of the carb as you have done. I do not use or recommend the use of the plastic filters, especially in front of the carb because they can break down from the underhood heat & cause a fire. Not worth the buck you might save when you buy one.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

An added suggestion is to put the largest capacity filter possible in your 'push through' system.
        With today's gas absorbing water (and turning to snot),you'd best have the capacity to forestall a clog as long as possible.
        If restoration correct is your passion, then ignore this.
        But if driveability is your goal, then a G5/16 (Champ/Luber-finer) 5/16" inline steel filter, or a G2 (Fram) should fill the bill.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          An added suggestion is to put the largest capacity filter possible in your 'push through' system.
          With today's gas absorbing water (and turning to snot),you'd best have the capacity to forestall a clog as long as possible.
          If restoration correct is your passion, then ignore this.
          But if driveability is your goal, then a G5/16 (Champ/Luber-finer) 5/16" inline steel filter, or a G2 (Fram) should fill the bill.
          Going to the Fram web site, it looks like they market (who knows who makes them) only oil and air filters. WalMart.com sells several fuel filters, the G2 is a $2.97 plastic thing, and they have a more expensive steel FG3727CS, $10.95, which looks "heavy duty". O'Reilly sells the G2 for $3.98. The Luber-Finer G5/16 looks very similar to the filter pictured on my engine, which I got from O'Reilly, for about the same price, $5.95. Who knows what one gets nowadays, or who or where they are made?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Luber-Finer G5-16.jpg
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1689024Click image for larger version

Name:	Wix Filter 33032.jpg
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1689025Click image for larger version

Name:	new fuel filter.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.9 KB