Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How difficult is it to replace a rear door on a '63 sedan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How difficult is it to replace a rear door on a '63 sedan?

So how difficult is it to replace the centre post and rear door, repair the damage to the rear door frame and re-hang (a replacement to) a crushed door? Would I be able to accomplish any of this on my own? Are the Centre posts available for these cars or do I have to scavenge one from a donor? Does anyone know if Studebaker International has these doors? I seem to have the impression that SASCO had them... Is it safe to assume that SI would now have them in stock?

Click image for larger version

Name:	00c0c_i4tck5P73VM_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1743398 This is the subject patient involved. Would this kind of damage bend the frame? Other than obvious bending, how would I tell if the frame is tweaked? I'm not afraid of a project car. After all, every one of my Studebakers are. It would be nice to have one that had a decent paint job. However, I don't wish to get in over my head, as it were.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Ron, I would also think they would not be a big seller and still be in stock, so a Call to Susan, Vanessa, Crystal or maybe even Manager Jim, is required to find out about "South Bend" stocked items.

It is not big deal to just replace a Door, but the "B" Pillar is kind of a big deal because of the accurate "Fit" to the floor and doors that is required.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yeah, that door is toast! And the "B" pillar is going to need tweaked. Some years back I came across a NOS "B" pillar for the '47-'52 models at the swap meet in York. No one ever needed one and the guy was tired of hauling it around so I got it for $15. That's to say, no doubt there is one for a Lark out there somewhere but, you pretty much need to stumble on it.
      I would think an experienced shop that is up to a challenge, like the one I use, and not just interested in insurance work, would take maybe an hour to bring the pillar back to alignment. Your experience may vary.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The "C" pillar appears to also have damage. I would secure the car & using the damaged door as a clamp, make a pull as close to the impact area as possible. It may or may not pull the "C" pillar due to the design of the striker/latch assembly which would probably pull out of the striker before much pressure was applied. Pulling the body is not something that can be done "at home" but would require a bench type system like a Chief-EZ-Liner or the minimum a floor mount/post system. Too bad your not around this area anymore Ron. I have access to a Chief.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Be careful Warren. I have a son in Riverside still...Click image for larger version

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1689005
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

LOL.... your the one to be careful! I may even have a door! Do I smell "road trip"???
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Ron I have a door and a B post but not the C hay that sounds good Band C but then I am Cand B.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Working...
              X