Spare Tire Wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Tire Wells

Here's a trivia question for ya. I did not remember until yesterday the answer to this one.

What is the ONLY Model of Studebaker Sedan from 1953 to 1958 that did NOT have a standup Spare Tire and Wheel?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Just a wild guess but I would think it might be the 58 Scotsman since it was a stripped down model. Am I close?
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Comment

must be, my 58 Scotsman has a flat trunk floor
      sigpic
      JohnP, driving & reviving
      60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Why in the world would Studebaker have used a special floor pan for the Scotsman??? Seems the savings from extra metal for the pan would be less than what it cost them to have special setup for one model.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Remember, it also meant there was no spare wheel & tire included so there was some saving there.
          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

You cheated if you saw this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotsman 2Dr3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1688895 From that Nice '57 Scotty 2 Door eBay Ad we were watching.

Isn't it amazing, the little things Studebaker would do to cheapen certain Models, which in my opinion, was a Cost/Expense Loser! Another was the No Lock Glove compartment Door Latch, and different Instr. Cluster used on Scotsman.

Can you imagine making a new Die to form that Trunk Floor, a New stiffener just to lose some usable Trunk space and Save only about half of the metal needed to form the Tire well, New Blueprints Engineering time, Sales approval, Production approval etc. then modify the Shop Manual, The Body Parts Catalogs, provide the Inventory System, Storage space around the World the whole deal, JUST for a few Scotsman 2 & 4 Door Sedans ONLY!

Then you have the poor Guys on the Body line and the final Line, having to deal with a Hawk, then a Starlight Hardtop (in '58) and then along comes a Commander Sedan, then 6 to 10 Scotsman Sedans, each Model quite a bit different. All of this loses TIME!

I am pretty sure a Spare was included with a simple carriage bolt and wing Nut that secured it to the floor in that slot in that added stiffener.

Maybe the Bean counters THOUGHT a cheaper Part saved money, but a DIFFERENT Part could actually COST more money in the long run.

They probably saved 37.5 cents on the different Glove Box Lock, but how much did it really cost them to change it?
            Last edited by StudeRich; 05-06-2014, 01:31 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
              Remember, it also meant there was no spare wheel & tire included so there was some saving there.
              My 58 Scotsman has a spare, a jack, and the (flat) floor has a runner welded to the floor with a keyhole to hold the hold-down bolt for the spare. They didn't leave the spare out.

But they did leave the spare out on my dad's brand new 1976 F150 4x4. Story there was that a strike had cut down the availability of the 5th tire for those vehicles. The dealer did put one in a month or so later
              sigpic
              JohnP, driving & reviving
              60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Working...
              X