Part number changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part number changes

Is there a reprint available for the list of part number changes that studebaker made through out the years, or is that something that somebody has yet to do?

They never "changed" numbers on parts unless there was at least SOME little difference to a particular piece. But did they just change part numbers from one year to the next - no.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

They never "changed" numbers on parts unless there was at least SOME little difference to a particular piece. But did they just change part numbers from one year to the next - no.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 62beater

Is there a reprint available for the list of part number changes that studebaker made through out the years, or is that something that somebody has yet to do?
        About as close as you'll come to "a list" would be a STUDEBAKER PARTS AND ACCESSORIES PRICE LIST, Book F. That book has a listing of Studebaker part & accessory numbers in numerical order. Look up the part number you are interested in. If Studebakers had a newer part or a substituted part, that number will be listed to the right of the original number.

A few years back the SNM and maybe SASCO too were selling new "Book F."

Good Luck!!!

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

About as close as you'll come to "a list" would be a STUDEBAKER PARTS AND ACCESSORIES PRICE LIST, Book F. That book has a listing of Studebaker part & accessory numbers in numerical order. Look up the part number you are interested in. If Studebakers had a newer part or a substituted part, that number will be listed to the right of the original number.

A few years back the SNM and maybe SASCO too were selling new "Book F."

Good Luck!!!

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

Thank you, a friend of mine has a book that looks like two column ledger paper that came out of a dealership that lists the old part number and the new one to the right of it. I hate having to call him or visit him, because we end up spening a few hours b.s.ing about studebakers(not that this is a bad thing) but usually we have work to be done. And I was referring to for example the part number for a 6 cyl water pump is the same for 59-60 and 62-64, where as 61 is different, but neither match [for example] what stude. intl list for the part number (I know some of their number are their own). I think my parts book shows (dont have the exact numbers im at school now) 1552885? and stude intl show 1553639? and according to Bill's book that is the correct replacement number.Since I'll be at Hershey I'll see if I can pick up book F
            Thank you,
            Jon

Comment

Thank you, a friend of mine has a book that looks like two column ledger paper that came out of a dealership that lists the old part number and the new one to the right of it. I hate having to call him or visit him, because we end up spening a few hours b.s.ing about studebakers(not that this is a bad thing) but usually we have work to be done. And I was referring to for example the part number for a 6 cyl water pump is the same for 59-60 and 62-64, where as 61 is different, but neither match [for example] what stude. intl list for the part number (I know some of their number are their own). I think my parts book shows (dont have the exact numbers im at school now) 1552885? and stude intl show 1553639? and according to Bill's book that is the correct replacement number.Since I'll be at Hershey I'll see if I can pick up book F
              Thank you,
              Jon

Comment

Mr Biggs is right -- Stude never changed part numbers. They did supercede numbers or provide new substitute part numbers for several previous items no longer available, especially after 1966. Book F was revised about once a year, so a mid-1960s copy would be most useful for late models. But it will not provide any info on part numbers that had become NLA by that time.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Mr Biggs is right -- Stude never changed part numbers. They did supercede numbers or provide new substitute part numbers for several previous items no longer available, especially after 1966. Book F was revised about once a year, so a mid-1960s copy would be most useful for late models. But it will not provide any info on part numbers that had become NLA by that time.

Skip Lackie
                  Washington DC
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Really Jon; I don't see the importance of the whole process! If you look for a part by description, in Steven Allen's on line listing or S.I.'s Catalog you'll get the CURRENT part number to order it. If it is not available you won't find it! you're SOL!

I admit in those very rare instances where you find a part with a number on it that is no longer listed, that could be a problem.
                    But, unless you are a Stude. parts vendor like I am, and have over 50 tons of parts, it won't happen often.

And then a couple of those Stude. Price Lists might be handy to get it's cross reference (hopefully current) part number, I think I did that ONE (1) time, found out that the number I have is a '56 Commander Torque Converter before it was replaced by something better? Who knows, maybe that's the one that has a thrust washer that cuts the Tranny (front support)input shaft OFF!

[for example] what stude. intl list for the part number (I know some of their number are their own). I think my parts book shows (dont have the exact numbers im at school now) 1552885? and stude intl show 1553639? and according to Bill's book that is the correct replacement number
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Really Jon; I don't see the importance of the whole process! If you look for a part by description, in Steven Allen's on line listing or S.I.'s Catalog you'll get the CURRENT part number to order it. If it is not available you won't find it! you're SOL!

I admit in those very rare instances where you find a part with a number on it that is no longer listed, that could be a problem.
                      But, unless you are a Stude. parts vendor like I am, and have over 50 tons of parts, it won't happen often.

And then a couple of those Stude. Price Lists might be handy to get it's cross reference (hopefully current) part number, I think I did that ONE (1) time, found out that the number I have is a '56 Commander Torque Converter before it was replaced by something better? Who knows, maybe that's the one that has a thrust washer that cuts the Tranny (front support)input shaft OFF!

[for example] what stude. intl list for the part number (I know some of their number are their own). I think my parts book shows (dont have the exact numbers im at school now) 1552885? and stude intl show 1553639? and according to Bill's book that is the correct replacement number
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you,
                        Jon

Comment

Thank you,
                          Jon

Comment

Working...
                          X