Met an interesting Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met an interesting Studebaker

After the South Bend swap meet, my wife and I drove a little west to the Indiana Dunes area. We spent the night in the town of Chesterton, stayed at a bed and breakfast place in an old railroad station. While chatting with our charming host, we mentioned that we had just come from the Studebaker event. He said he actually knew a member of the Studebaker family who lived nearby, so he called and invited her over. Soon, Heidi Studebaker arrived, as well as some other people. Heidi brought her history books of the Studebaker family. She is descended from Peter Studebaker. She is a mechanical engineer, and interested in the history of the Studebaker cars and trucks. As it turned out, her father Henry and an uncle had also been at the swap meet.

To make the evening even more interesting, one of the other women who dropped in for the little social event said she had grown up on a farm near South Bend. She told the story of how, when she was a young girl (and she's not that old now), the man who lived on the adjoining farm invited her over to see his cars. She said she marveled at the barns full of Studebakers. So I immediately asked her, "Was that Tom Karkiewicz?" She was astonished that I guessed it. [Tom has the white schoolbus full of parts that he drives to Studebaker meets.]

We love these Studebaker adventures, especially the unexpected ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	heidi_studebaker&gary_ash.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1743365
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Great story. this is the kind of stuff that makes it worth doing for me.
    61 lark cruiser
    64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Another nice looking Studebaker!
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
        Brilliant ! ;-)
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

She's lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
            I was thinking the same thing...
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Wonderful story. The best part of our hobby is the people that you meet because of our cars. I grew up in NW Ind. Chesterton is a great, quaint little town (well, it was 20 years ago). I bought a hard to come by water pump from Tom and his bus at the SB swap meet back in the late 90s for the '49 Land Cruiser I owned at the time. VERY reasonably priced at the time. Loved that bus. It reminded me of how swap meets used to be years ago.

Comment

Great to know that there are descendants of the Studebaker brothers still around the South Bend area!!

Comment

What a treat. That must have seemed the perfect way to conclude your trip to the swap meet. Heidi must have been fascinating to talk with.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Interesting, however I seem to recall that there are no surviving "Studebaker" named family decedents from the original five brothers and the last male "Studebaker" of the five brothers lineage, who could have passed the name down, was killed on the beaches of Normandy.
                    Dan Peterson
                    Montpelier, VT
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Working...
                    X