Looking for info on this car .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on this car .....

For a few years now, I've seen photos of this car at various midwest car shows. I've tried to track down the owner but haven't been able to do so. I'm new to this site and hope it's alright to ask questions like this.

The car is a peach colored 51 with silver and gray graphics down the side. It's usually displayed with a drive-in tray on the window and I wonder if anyone on here knows the owner and can put me in touch with him/her.

Bill Junge
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Attached Files

Nice job of shortening the roof. I've never seen that before, but it looks really good and subtle - the roof looks subtle, that is.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-05-2014, 04:02 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

What a nice looking "club coupe" from a 2 door sedan!
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Bill,
        Check out the license plate. Depending on the state of registration, you can often inquire of the state DMV online and, for a nominal fee, receive your contact information.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

By the way, Bill has one of the nicest bullet nose restomods you will ever see.
          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

It appears to have been a 1950 Champion 2 Door Sedan.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich ..... I'm not sure why you think this is a 50 Champ. It has a 51 grill and one piece rear window and I'm not sure you can tell the difference between a Champ and Commander on the 51 models. I think the dashboards may be the only way to tell if the badging is removed from the outside.

I've wondered about this car from the first time I saw a photo of it. At first I thought it was a business coupe that they added a small window to. Now I believe it is (was) a two door sedan that they shortened the roof on. I want to add a page to my Bullet Nose Paradise website for this car and will do so when I can get some definitive info about it. In the meantime, I'll just post a side view photo of it in the Two Door Sedans section.

Tim ..... Thanks for your kind comment about my car.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dry Heat Geezer; 05-06-2014, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Interesting thing I just noticed after making the above post and looking at the front end photo. My 51 had Studebaker on one side of the hood and Champion on the other side of the bullet. This car appears to have Champion emblems in front of the fresh air doors and I'm not really sure if that's how the 50's were badged.

Comment

Bump for the mid-west guys that are off on the weekend.

Comment

I posted this question back in 2014 before I became inactive. This is a bump to see if anyone reading threads on this forum can answer my question.

Comment

Welcome back, Bill. I poked around the internet, but there a lot of customized 51 Studebakers. There are also a few customized cars with front clips from 1951 Studebakers that are not technically 1951 cars, so having some additional information would help narrow the search.

You mentioned in post #1 "I've seen photos of this car at various midwest car shows". Which car shows? What state or city?

Also, one of the photographs in post #1 is a rear view of the car showing a blue license plate. As rockne10 mentioned in post #4, did you try to figure out which state that is? I copied the photograph and zoomed in on it, but the resolution is not sharp, and the more I zoomed in, the more pixelated it became, so that was no help.

Mark
                      Mark L

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I copied the photos from the Hot Rod Hot Line website and didn't note what show(s) the car attended. I assumed that someone on this forum would have seen the car or possibly know who the owner is, or was.

I wanted to get info about how that top was modified and I'm guessing it's still around somewhere and may show up again. If not, I'll give up and say I tried.

Comment

I just dug through my pictures of Studebakers at Back To The 50's from 2019 all the way back to 2010 and have not seen that car there. I am pretty sure I would remember that car so I suspect I have never seen it before.

Comment

I suggest you post your inquiry on the H.A.M.B site, where it will be seen by tens of thousands of car show attendees. Someone is bound to recall it.

Comment

Only thing I know about this car is that the owner is a woman.
                              Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                              jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X