Love this Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love this Champ

This truck is the one that got me interested in Champs!

This was on eBay twice last year in NV. Seller had just inherited it from his father; was listed not running, dirty, flat tires and all. Bid to about $800 the first time, sold the second for about $1200. I passed then because I wasn't too excited about arranging shipping for a non-running vehicle from a disinterested seller Turns out the buyer was this seller in MA.

I found out if I buy a Champ it has to have the stepside box- just don't care for the Dodge box. And I LOVE the orange graphics on this one! The current owner added the orange rims and baby moons- makes the truck just right to me[]

I was bidding on this one, but it's gone way beyond what I want to spend right now, as I've committed to a nice but unloved 61 Cruiser a friend has. But I've saved a couple pics of it for future reference, as eventually I'll add just the right Champ to my collection, and may just copy this one!

Some of you may not like the way this one's done- and that's OK with me! Chime in if you want. But had I gotten this one, I'd have added bumpers, done the floors a little better, touched up the white, added carpet and recovered the seat, added O/D, and enjoyed it!

Thanks to this one, there's a Champ in my future[:X]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

You're having too much fun!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Nahh... no such thing!!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Nahh... no such thing!!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Wow Bob! they really have cleaned that truck up since the last sale attempt! I saw a lot of potential in that thing at the low price, now not so much, with the "6" and all and the NEW price! Still looks like a tired "6"!

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wow Bob! they really have cleaned that truck up since the last sale attempt! I saw a lot of potential in that thing at the low price, now not so much, with the "6" and all and the NEW price! Still looks like a tired "6"!

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree with Rich, a V8 with o/d would be just the ticket. Maybe being picky but I do not believe the front fender "chrome" strips are in the correct location for a '61..., course there's a lot on this baby that is not stock.[}] By the way Bob, I agree, with you that the chase is a lot of fun.[]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

I agree with Rich, a V8 with o/d would be just the ticket. Maybe being picky but I do not believe the front fender "chrome" strips are in the correct location for a '61..., course there's a lot on this baby that is not stock.[}] By the way Bob, I agree, with you that the chase is a lot of fun.[]

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>

Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

The 6 didn't bother me one bit! I've never owned a Stude truck, but any truck of any size I've owned with a six over the years has been more than capable of doing whatever job is needed! The engineers know what they're doing; couple examples:

I've sold a lot of conversion vans for towing boats, campers, etc. The 300 CID 6 has MORE torque than the 302 V8, thus tows much better.

A local guy has a 68 GMC tilt-bed truck that can haul 2 cars at a time; he hauls full-size house trailers- hundreds over the years- with no problem. The engine? Truck version of the 283 CID V8! He bought this truck new in 68 and it's had a cam/lifters/timing chain once, and that's it!

The point is: People are WAY too fast to ditch sixes! Don't know if it's an ego/bragging rights thing, or just real-world inexperience, or what it is? But if anyone reading this is inexperienced and wondering, don't be too quick to write off the 6 bangers!![8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

The 6 didn't bother me one bit! I've never owned a Stude truck, but any truck of any size I've owned with a six over the years has been more than capable of doing whatever job is needed! The engineers know what they're doing; couple examples:

I've sold a lot of conversion vans for towing boats, campers, etc. The 300 CID 6 has MORE torque than the 302 V8, thus tows much better.

A local guy has a 68 GMC tilt-bed truck that can haul 2 cars at a time; he hauls full-size house trailers- hundreds over the years- with no problem. The engine? Truck version of the 283 CID V8! He bought this truck new in 68 and it's had a cam/lifters/timing chain once, and that's it!

The point is: People are WAY too fast to ditch sixes! Don't know if it's an ego/bragging rights thing, or just real-world inexperience, or what it is? But if anyone reading this is inexperienced and wondering, don't be too quick to write off the 6 bangers!![8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I am usually a fan of 6 cylinders myself[:I] - I've had many in the past and with the correct gearing they work just fine for most applications as stated by Bob. I am just not that fussy on the Stude OHV 6 especially in a truck where you might want to work it a bit[xx(] - the 245 "Commander" six would be a much better motor for a working truck in my humble opinion.

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar
                        3E-6/7-122
                        </h5>

Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I am usually a fan of 6 cylinders myself[:I] - I've had many in the past and with the correct gearing they work just fine for most applications as stated by Bob. I am just not that fussy on the Stude OHV 6 especially in a truck where you might want to work it a bit[xx(] - the 245 "Commander" six would be a much better motor for a working truck in my humble opinion.

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar
                          3E-6/7-122
                          </h5>

Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

Good call Mark! Actually these body side mouldings appear to be the '62,'63,'64 Champ Deluxe cab type with custom made door and rear of cab mouldings made from maybe '62-'63 Lark mouldings! [^]
                            Looks good!

Remember none of the Champs have door or cab mouldings.

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

[b] Maybe being picky but I do not believe the front fender "chrome" strips are in the correct location for a '61...
                            StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Good call Mark! Actually these body side mouldings appear to be the '62,'63,'64 Champ Deluxe cab type with custom made door and rear of cab mouldings made from maybe '62-'63 Lark mouldings! [^]
                              Looks good!

Remember none of the Champs have door or cab mouldings.

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

[b] Maybe being picky but I do not believe the front fender "chrome" strips are in the correct location for a '61...
                              StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X