Lifetime membersship for members of the hamilton chapter sdc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetime membersship for members of the hamilton chapter sdc

At a recent General Meeting of our chapter, a motion was put forth to award three of our members and spouses lifetime membership with voting privileges.
    • The first was to go to Mr. John Spillett a longtime member of our chapter and a former Studebaker employee. John began working at the Hamilton plant in 1948 and remained there until it closed on March 17, 1966. John's input regarding the history of the Hamilton facility was invaluable. He lent a great deal of insight into the workings at the plant. Sadly, Mr. Spillett passed away quite suddenly before knowing of this membership.

• The second lifetime membership went to George and Marlene Wingfield. George was also an employee at the Hamilton plant. In addition, he was a founding member of our chapter. It was felt that this was a fitting award at this time. George is one of two members in our club who worked at Studebaker in Hamilton. Both George and Marlene's input and particpation in our club has and will always be valued by our members.

• The third lifetime membership went to Stu and Thelma Chapman. Stu also was an employee at Studebaker Hamilton. As many of you may know, Stu is a past president of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Stu also has written books on the Studebaker experience. He also sits on the Museum board. Both Stu and Thelma are active members of our club. Stu's advice and keen insight lend a valuable insight into the history of Studebaker in Hamilton. Both Stu and Thelma's input and participation in our club has and will always be sought and valued by our members.

On behalf of the executive and members of the Hamilton Chapter SDC, we are honoured to have been able to present these lifetime memberships to the above members. We look forward to all of them being members of our club for many years to come.

Roly Lusted, president Hamilton Chapter SDC

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
    studenews@outlook.com

This is a very nice thing to do! I am sure that they are all deserving of the award. I only know Chapmans (for decades).

I wonder how many SDC Chapters do something similar. Many years ago, the Hudson Valley Chapter, SDC set up lifetime membership with different criteria. The first went to the founding couple (not me, I was a charter member, but not the founder). The second is ex officio for the SDC President and spouse. The third category is for anyone that has been a dues paid member for 25 consecutive years.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

All deserving no doubt! As many of our own chapter are. We used to issue life memberships but, at some point, one of them stopped renewing with National SDC. Ruined it for everybody.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I think that is a great thing to do for long time helpful, supportive Members of any Chapter. Good for you!

We have some Charter Members of our Whatcom County (Northwest Wash.) Chapter of SDC that have been granted Life Memberships years ago, but we have never mentioned it outside of the Chapter.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Lifetime Memberships

While I personally support what you have done, and I do not want to diminish the honour of the occasion, there is a technical issue that can make this gesture problematic. Under the SDC Bylaws/Policies, membership in a Chapter requires that the person is also a member of the SDC.

In a situation where you bestow a Chapter lifetime membership on a person who also holds (lucky devil!) a SDC lifetime membership, then no problem. But, if you bestow a lifetime Chapter membership on a person who renews their SDC membership at periodic intervals - like most of us, then there is a risk in considering a person to be a Chapter member even if their SDC membership lapses. I agree the risk is low and the potential consequences may not be worth making a fuss about, but "them are the rules".

In our Chapter we can bestow up to a 5 year honourary membership and it is easily renewable by the Chapter Executive after that term. In this way, we will keep track of folks and ensure they are maintaining their SDC membership if applicable.
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
          X