Reproduction 53-54 Grill Surrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reproduction 53-54 Grill Surrounds

I posted a while back that I am helping a buddy repop the 53-54 grill surrounds and bars. It was in this thread...

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rill+surrounds

The project continues, but in the mean time, we have two excess pre production sets that we want to sell.

These look OK, but are not perfect. Some small dings and waves in the face. They will need some adjustment in some non visible places. I've tried them on a 53 and some of the support structure is too "fat" and will have to be filed down. Once fitted, they can be plated, painted, powder coated, or whatever finish you desire. They are aluminum castings with the outer edge finished.

$300 a pair.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

NEW '53-'54 C & K Grille Mouldings

Excellent work Dick, those look great!

Will there be a provision on the Production units for '54's to have the '54 Grille Bar Fin holes predrilled or piloted?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-27-2014, 10:07 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Surrounds are sold.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Excellent work Dick, those look great!

Will there be a provision on the Production units for '54's to have the '54 Grille Bar Fin holes predrilled or piloted?
        Probably not. We'd have 54's in stock when customers wanted 53's and visa versa. It is pretty easy for a 54 customer to punch those 2 holes.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thank you for doing this the need for good surrounds is out there.

Comment

please keep us posted, I'll take a set

Comment

Originally posted by 50pete View Post
              please keep us posted, I'll take a set
              Easy there Pete, you do not know the price of the perfect Production Parts yet!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I will take a set also. No matter the price, they have to be cheaper than getting mine fixed, polished and re-chromed. Dick, thanks for doing this and keeping us informed.

Lee

Comment

I am good for a set or two. Can we see a shot of the back? Any schedule of a release date? I will not sleep for nights now 'til I know.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                    I am good for a set or two. Can we see a shot of the back? Any schedule of a release date? I will not sleep for nights now 'til I know.

JK

We are several months away from production. Both my partner and I have to squeeze this in among lots of other things that are more mandatory in our lives.

I do appreciate the interest, but we are not counting on much volume when we do go into production and they will have to be priced accordingly.

Some of you will remember the Wagonaire headliner kits that I helped develop this winter and are sold through the one man shop that did mine. Lots of interest expressed here, but after a bunch of verbal commitments, only 2 kits were sold.

http://dicksteinkamp.wordpress.com/2...ire-headliner/
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick maybe you should try selling tires because they are use to getting kicked until flat, good luck.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Originally posted by willisl55 View Post
                        No matter the price, they have to be cheaper than getting mine fixed, polished and re-chromed.
                        Not to nix any deal, as I have not seen any reproductions of these surrounds that achieve this quality; and praise to Dick and his partner for following this definite need; one must consider, these are, as Dick indicated, aluminum castings that can be finished in one's preferred method. if you intend a chromed show car, you will still have the investment in the copper, nickel, chrome finish. The savings will be in starting with cores that do not contain worm holes.
                        I can tell you the chromed restoration price of my two surrounds, which were in pretty bad shape, came in at about $1200.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Wow! I purchased a headliner kit from Norm and it looks
                          fantastic! Sorry to hear he only sold one other kit!
                          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Did the word about those headliner kits get out beyond the forum? I don't know what the regular population is here but I doubt it is a very large fraction of Stude owners.
                            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                            50 Champion 2 door*
                            53 Commander K Auto*
                            53 Commander K overdrive*
                            55 President Speedster
                            62 GT 4Speed*
                            63 Avanti R1*
                            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                              Did the word about those headliner kits get out beyond the forum? I don't know what the regular population is here but I doubt it is a very large fraction of Stude owners.
                              I didn't publicize it outside of the forum. I have no financial interest in the sale of the kits, but I'll mention to Norm that he may want to advertise in TW.

The point is, if everyone on the forum bought one that committed to one, there would have been quite a few sold.

One vendor who repoped a common tail light lens (at quite an investment) told me that he often hears "Now I know where to get one when I need one"...but not so many actual orders.

The term CASO comes to us honestly
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X