Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1931 President Coupe finds a new owner after 35 years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1931 President Coupe finds a new owner after 35 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	010 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1743294Click image for larger version

Name:	015 copy.jpg
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1743293
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Beautiful car. Did you remember to take your secret stash of goodies out of the trunk?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Richard,
      Once we have made the investment in returning these to a semblance of their original glory, and protect them from the daily exposure they had some eighty years ago, at some point we must realize we have staged them to outlive us.
      Finding a suitable venue to allow them to awe and inspire those who come after can be more spiritually rewarding than the joy we had in their restoration and the miles we personally accrued, and certainly more rewarding than having them languish in our closed garages. On the proper stage, these may well outlive our great-grandchildren!
      And,...few in the future will have the opportunity to enjoy the miles we have managed to accrue.
      Last edited by rockne10; 04-26-2014, 07:02 PM.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

How about a Paul Harvey Rest of the Story:
        ---- How and where did you find it
        ---- What kind of condition was it in when you found it
        ---- What was the most difficult part of the restoration
        ---- Denison was the birthplace of Dwight Eisenhower so I guess it is fitting that you should be able to find a Presiden in Denison

Comment

Purchased in Wichita, Kansas 1978 (from an ad on the bulletin board at the SDC Intl meet in South Bend). Nice original, essentially one owner car. Nothing was easy. Glad to share the spotlight in Denison with Ike!

Car was featured in the January 1972 SDC Bulletin as shown below after being extricated from long term (18 years) storage by original owner. As purchased photos also included.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sdc bulletin4.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1688760 Click image for larger version

Name:	before comp copy.jpg
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	1688761
          Richard Quinn

Comment

We are only the caretakers for a brief while. Thank you, Richard, for preserving and caring for this bit of automotive history. Now it will be enjoyed by thousands. Couldn't ask for a better legacy. I hope the museum will proudly display this fine auto and mention your name on the display plaque.

Comment

Lovely vehicle. Had the pleasure of tiding in a 1931 President sedan, more like a limousine in NZ, gee what lovely things they are.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Beautiful car and I really like the colors you chose. I still have the SDC Bulletin with the story of its coming to light.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

The story of the cars purchase is an interesting one but not for public consumption. Suffice it to say the previous owner had been hit in the head one too many times and was well lubricated when the negotiations took place. He had never driven the car.
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

I always enjoyed the story of the negotiations on the purchase. Are you sure you didn't come up with the purchase requirement? Also Peter said to remind you that the sidemount covers were part of the his purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by studerex View Post
                      I always enjoyed the story of the negotiations on the purchase. Are you sure you didn't come up with the purchase requirement? Also Peter said to remind you that the sidemount covers were part of the his purchase.
                      Yes, Peter is real good with communication. They were put in the rumble seat but you can tell him they were sold to Bloomie.
                      Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 04-27-2014, 12:29 PM.
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

I remember a lot of the trials and tribulations of that restoration! Well, at least you can still look at the painting that you commissioned me to do!! What's your oldest car now?

Comment

Dick Quinn . . . PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                          X