Rainy Day Poll: Transmission Preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainy Day Poll: Transmission Preference

I wondering, given the average age of the Stude driver what transmission you might prefer ? I'd quickly rule out the power cars with the "R" type engine who preferably sport 4 sp or Power Shifts........

Automatic vs. Standard vs. OD.......?

I am 70 and wouldn't have a 4 door or an auto tranny.

Comment

I prefer manual transmissions. I also enjoy the overdrives I own. The automatics are OK (rather boring) as long as they work. However, I think my aversion to automatics is mainly due to my lack of knowledge regarding their construction, maintenance, and operation. If I had enough experience tearing into them and getting to know their mechanical details, I'm sure my attitude would change. So far, the automatics I own, work. As long as they work, I tolerate the leaks, keep the fluid topped off, drive them and, otherwise, leave them alone.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

For my Studebakers, 3 speed w/O.D. For my brand x daily driver, an auto.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
          I wondering, given the average age of the Stude driver what transmission you might prefer ? I'd quickly rule out the power cars with the "R" type engine who preferably sport 4 sp or Power Shifts........

Automatic vs. Standard vs. OD.......?
          I'm old and all my cars/trucks have serious power, but the overdrive will always be the tranny of choice for my Studebakers.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I have driven Studebakers with autos and manuals and other makes with each and prefer to drive a manual transmission. Once the selection goes above 6 speeds an auto is best. I have a BMW with an 8 speed auto and if I could have that selection behind a worked 259/289/304 Studebaker the world would be a different place. Keeping the engine in the most powerful torque range from below 1000 RPM right through to top speed is an amazing feeling. Living in Los Angeles with lots of freeway traffic a smooth shifting auto with many gears, as opposed to the 3 speeds of old, would be a breeze to drive. (I might have to look into that.)

But, in the real world of cars I build and drive I prefer a Ford Toploader 4 speed. I have driven about 4 Studebakers with this transmission and it is better than most 4 speeds out there.

Comment

I'm lazy basically - and an auto fits that languid lifestyle to a T. That said, when I'm into driving (as opposed to just doing it), I think the 3spdOD is fun. Of course, I was also enamored with the New Process 5spdOD that was in my old 8E12. That was one versatile chunk of cast iron!
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have always been a T85-OD guy, and have literally driven them close to half a million miles, in 56Js and GTs. Had FOMs in a 63 GT, 63 Cruiser, 65 Sport Daytona, and a 64 Wagonaire for around 100,000 miles total. Had a 56J with an Ultra-trashic for around 20,000 miles, and a TH400 I swapped into another 56J for around 41,000 miles.

The ODs are great, till I come upon an accident, or get stuck in road construction/traffic for hours. Each of those times I wished for an automatic.

You could not give me a T86-OD, and slush bucket FOMs are at the bottom of the list for automatics.

Recently installed a 700R in the wife's GT, and find myself looking for excuses to drive it, instead of letting her. It is smooth as silk, gets within 1-2 MPG of the OD equipped GT, and keeps up with traffic easily. I am still a T85 guy, but the 700R has quickly became a very close second.
                Last edited by JoeHall; 04-26-2014, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                  I am 70 and wouldn't have a 4 door or an auto tranny.
                  Mostly Ditto here, but because I have so many of course there are Flight-O-Matics, Power Shifts, 4 Speeds and 4 Doors, but my preference is still T-85 Overdrive, No General Muckup's!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I am 60 and enjoy manually shifting my power shift but overall preference would be t86 OD.

Comment

I blew up my 700 R4 in my V6 Blazer Twice!!! I have never destroyed a FOM or PowerShift I have built. I like the 5 speed od manuals most of all, but sometimes I don't like to shift.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Give me a manual transmission. Not all 4-Speed's came behind R cars. My Daytona was delivered with a 289-2V and the 4-Speed.
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I prefer standard shift,and always have.for the most part I really wish My 63 champ had a T-98 four speed installed.
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The standard with overdrive is ultimately versatile in any weather or road conditions. The Borg Warner DG automatics are foolproof and bulletproof. Many consider the automatics sluggish. Especially those afraid to put their foot to the floor. If your left foot or leg is broken or suffering tendonitis or plantar fasciitis, you may be dismayed with a clutch pedal. If you like to just put your foot in it and wind it up until the automatic clutches find maximum velocity the cast iron automatics can be a carnival ride. Entering an Interstate with a standard in second-over can be humiliating to those already flying in excess of the speed limit. So can keeping the automatic in the floor to the second-third shift.
                            Any muscle not exercised will atrophy. Drive them as if they were intended to be driven!
                            I would be thrilled with any Studebaker equipped with overdrive but, if the automatic was the way it rolled off the line, I would keep it and try to make it squeal. IT'S ALL GOOD!
                            unless you are trying to drag race with a Champion 170 and straight 3-spd!
                            Last edited by rockne10; 04-26-2014, 04:38 PM.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

5- or 6-speed manual overdrive modern trannies... every time.

Comment

Working...
                              X