brakes/Avanti.....homemade set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: brakes/Avanti.....homemade set-up

I've set up a brake system for a 63 Avanti, using Turner front Disc/and a Ford 8.8 rear end and the ford drum wheel cylinders. This has a 75 Camaro
    MC and a Wilwood proportioning valve set-up. The MC has new lines/fittings. The bleeder valves were removed and air put to the system to clear all line
    restrictions. The problem, I cannot bleed the system, I can't get brake fluid to flow. Called Wilwood two times for answers! I've used a Motive bleeder
    tank, to find leaks in the fittings. Everything seems ready to go tomorrow but, has anybody had a similar problem and found a solution. Thanks for your
    help and all ideas, suggestions. This has now been several days and I have not found a solution.

OK, I'll try to help, but need more info.
    What bore size M/C are you using? What size are the rear wheel cylinders? What is the proportioning valve from? Generic? adjustable? set up for another vehicle?
    The rear port on the M/C goes to the front brakes, correct? All the rubber hoses are new? or XX years old?

What exactly is "I can't bleed the system" mean? Did you get air out? Did you bench bleed the M/C before installation? If not, start there.

Which sequence did you bleed the brakes? You should start with: Rt Rear, then LT rear, Then RT Front, then LT Front. Did the M/C run dry while you were bleeding?

You have a LOT of variables that you need to consider.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

avanti brake problem....homemade system

Jim, the MC bore size is 1 inch, the wheel cylinders are standard ford explorer on the 8.8 rear end. Bleeding procedure is the standard rt. rear, left rear, rt. front etc.
      The proportioning valve is the adjustable Wilwood mc inlet to outlet lines. The fittings show no signs of leaking. I just can't get the brake fluid to flow out the bleeder valves.
      I have had two buddies helping me to try and solve the problem. Both are car/motorcycle guys, no luck. Next change would to be change wheel cylinders on the rear. Bench bleed the MC.

Comment

Jim, you just got me thinking do I have the right line going to the rear/front brakes.........I'll let you know.....going to the garage. Thanks for shaking the brain lose.

Comment

You could be having a similar problem that Allen was having in the link below about the M/C Push Rod Length.
          He did have a different result, but it could be the same problem/cause.

Are you using a Bendix Master-Vac Dual Brake Booster as stock or similar?

OR, maybe by testing the lines with Air BACKWARDS you have pushed ("Set") the Proportioning Valve in the wrong position?

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...inders-(Solved)
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X