Vintage photo 1950 Studebaker police car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage photo 1950 Studebaker police car

I'm not sure if I can post the photo, but here is a link. It's got a very interesting paint job.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

This is the same bumper guard as I have on my '50 Commander. That's pretty cool.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Neat old photo. Just remember though if they had waited a year, "They could have had a V8."
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          Neat old photo. Just remember though if they had waited a year, "They could have had a V8."
          That's a good one, Dick.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

It's a late year bottom of the line, custom model. Probably didn't catch any bad guys driving Fords or Oldsmobiles. Hopefully the police procurement department ordered it with an overdrive.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

It would be neat if that car was still around and owned by an SDC member.

Comment

Watch out! There's an unmarked Packard pursuit behind the Studebaker!
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Can you imagine any law enforcement body today settling for the 3.6 L Caprice instead of the 6.0 L?
                  Maybe in 1950 they were concerned about spending taxpayers' money.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    Can you imagine any law enforcement body today settling for the 3.6 L Caprice instead of the 6.0 L?
                    I don't know - I see a lot of V6, rather than hemi V8, Dodge Charger police cars. Some police cars are just used in urban areas and do not have to be concerned with high speed pursuit.
                    A friend of mine got a new Chrysler Town and Country for his State Police "company car".
                    Also, think about the average car in use in 1950 (mostly 1940s models, with some 1930s that survived WWII).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      Actually; for most police work, the modern Chevy/Dodge V6's are quite fast and will (probably) run door handle to door handle in both acceleration and top end with most of the 1960's state police/highway patrol cars.

The Michigan State Police's Precision Driving Unit valuated 12 sedans and three pursuit-rated utility models available to police agencies for the 2014 model year.

Among the six sedans in the V-6 category, the 3.6-liter Chevrolet Impala reached a top speed of 149 mph followed by the 3.6-liter Caprice (148), 3.6-liter Charger (141), and 3.7-liter non-turbo Ford P.I. (132). The Caprice reached 0 to 60 fastest (7.45 seconds) followed by the non-turbo Ford P.I. (7.48) and Impala (7.67).
                      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Perhaps so but, in 1950 the 170 cid Champion was nary comparable to anything that should have been in the law enforcement stable.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If that is Inglewood Calif. (right next to Westchester) it is small enough community, surrounded by other cities on all sides, high speed pursuit was probably not a concern.

Comment

But if it is Ca. a pursuit a few miles to the west would put them in the Pacific Ocean!!!

Comment

The Man standing behind the Officer holding the door open, looks very much like Frank H. Afton the owner of the Inglewood, CA Studebaker Dealership and my Dad's boss.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X