rubber floor mat for 49 2R16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: rubber floor mat for 49 2R16

I have a 2R16, almost completely rust free. My understanding is that this truck used the same cab as the 1/2 ton for 49. So.... I am hoping there is a source for the rubber floor mat, molded all one piece.

I realize that is a bit of a pipe dream, so.... if there isn't such a source, is anyone aware of a source for a somewhat universal one that I could make work?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, I have been mia for almost two years. Got to working on an old Z/28 project and left the Stude sit for most of the last two years. It did start right up today after putting some gas in the carb. Still sounds good.

The issue of floor mats for the bigger Stude trucks comes up regularly, but remains unsolved. The parts book listing clearly shows the problem: while one floor mat part number fits many Stude 1/2-ton trucks, Stude had to make a dozen or more slightly different mats to fit the variety of transmission humps, shifter locations, and parking brake combinations in their bigger trucks. Admittedly, some of the differences are just due to slightly different locations for pre-punched holes, but it would take a serious effort to design one floor mat that would acceptably fit all of Stude's big C-cab trucks, 1949-64. As a result, only the 1/2-ton floor mats have been reproduced. Several people have investigated taking on the task, but the tooling costs always end up pushing the resulting unit price well above $100 per mat, and that drives away a lot of potential customers. Several hundred sales are necessary to make the job economically viable, and all who have tried to make it work have ended up abandoning the effort.

You might try posting your query over on the Stude Truck Talk site: http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

Maybe someone will volunteer to take on the job (again).
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Skip. Doesn't the 2R16 use the same cab as the 1/2 ton, just different fenders?

If so, I am fine with a half ton floor mat, and making if fit the best I can.

If I am mistaken, then it may be a lost cause.

Will post over at the truck talk site.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
        Thanks for the response.

Skip. Doesn't the 2R16 use the same cab as the 1/2 ton, just different fenders?

If so, I am fine with a half ton floor mat, and making if fit the best I can.

If I am mistaken, then it may be a lost cause.

Will post over at the truck talk site.
        Yes, the cabs are the same. However, the transmission humps are not the same. The big truck transmissions are much bigger and taller, and the black-painted hump covers must accommodate that increased height. That uses up a lot of the available left-right mat acreage, and the half-ton mats don't fit right. All of the truck mats are molded to fit the floor and trans hump profile.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

could just split the mat at the hump...
          Be warned that I've taken the upper floor pans out of a couple of Stude trucks that had the rubber mats but the floors rusted out below them......
          Remove your mat Annually and check for rust spots......

Comment

Just have your local upholstery guy make a carpet for your truck.
            Rick
            Kingman, AZ

Comment

Working...
            X