Post-Studebaker Avanti price over a few years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Studebaker Avanti price over a few years

I was looking for some other documents and came across the scans of window price stickers for three Avantis I owned plus a 1983 Price List. Kind of went up over the years. No, I didn't buy any of them new, just happened to still have the window stickers with them.
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Interesting data Paul.

I now own a 74 and an 83. I can tell you after disassembling both that there is a great difference in the build quality of my 74 vs the 83. The 83 is actually a quality built vehicle whereas the 74 reminds me of a kit car. I'm not sure the difference is worth $17K but the 83 is just better.

JMHO, Bob

Comment

According to some magazine reviews back in the day, the '83 under Steve Blake showed a great deal of quality improvements over the '82 which the reviewers felt was an embarrassment. After Nate Altman passed in 1976, Avanti quality control began slipping as the company drifted without Nate's hand at the tiller.

Earlier Avanti II's were essentially a continuation of the original other than the engine and some other details and options. Later on in production more and more upgrades were introduced and integrated into the car, even if quality began to slip.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
        According to some magazine reviews back in the day, the '83 under Steve Blake showed a great deal of quality improvements over the '82 which the reviewers felt was an embarrassment. After Nate Altman passed in 1976, Avanti quality control began slipping as the company drifted without Nate's hand at the tiller.
        He makes that point VERY clear in his interview in the first issue of Collectable Automobile in 1984.

As far as the price rise....inflation really hit car prices.
        In 1979 I bought a loaded Mustang...the first year of the Fox platform...for $7500. Ten years later, they were about double that.
        Last edited by JBOYLE; 04-15-2014, 06:22 PM.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
          Interesting data Paul.

I now own a 74 and an 83. I can tell you after disassembling both that there is a great difference in the build quality of my 74 vs the 83. The 83 is actually a quality built vehicle whereas the 74 reminds me of a kit car. I'm not sure the difference is worth $17K but the 83 is just better.

JMHO, Bob
          I found the same thing (except that I never had them apart). The '72 was best described as a very crude car. The '83 was virtually perfect in fit and finish. In fact, it was so nice that we were afraid to drive it and sold it with 7,000 miles on the clock. The '76 was kind of in between- well put together, but more primitive than the '83. It was a daily driver and my wife still hasn't forgiven me for selling it. Actually, the Avanti II I most regret selling (went for a house down payment) was a '66. It was beautifully finished, but still had some Studebaker flaws. It was very fast, great handler, very well-balanced with the 327 and Powershift.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
          X