what do we have here..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do we have here..

ok just bought this 1962 hawk. was taking thingsout of the car and came accross this...

now i know it is the paper they would put in the window at like the dealerships and what not but what really has me is the fact of where it says it was delivered to. which is the Studebaker Packard corporation in Detroit Michigan... the story i got from the orignal owner is that his dad bought the car off of Dana corporation in Fort Wayne IN in 1963...

That's a pretty cool find! And I was just thinking - a pretty sweet ride for some not-insignificant 60s coin.

I poked it into the Bureau of Labor Statistics' inflation calculator, and they estimate that $4113.50 in 1962 dollars translates to $31,979.19 in 2014!

I guess if you were rockin' a loaded GT Hawk back in the day, you were doing pretty well for yourself.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I dunno......32 large won't buy a fully loaded Camaro, or Mustang GT today!
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Interesting that it was equipped with Dunlop tires; not Firestone or U.S.Royal, which were the most common.

Craig

Comment

The $23.50 for undercoating may have been a waste.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

A very well Loaded GT, obviously some Division of Studebaker in Detroit was the destination, possibly the Michigan area Studebaker Zone Office and or Parts Warehouse.

The Production Order would show the Built Date, it may be too late to be a Detroit Auto Show Car, but it might be interesting to buy the Prod. Order and find out.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What would the destination show if someone went to the factory and picked the car up? Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                I dunno......32 large won't buy a fully loaded Camaro, or Mustang GT today!
                Of course todays cars include as standard many things that you didn't have back then, smog equipment worth at least $1-2K, fuel injection, air bags, ABS, etc. etc. If you look at a 63 Super Hawk then the price would be higher. If you adjusted for the kind of things that cars have today then the price for the Hawk today would be in the $40K+ range. Don't forget that an Avanti even base price was in the price range of a Cad or a Corvette.
                David L

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  Interesting that it was equipped with Dunlop tires; not Firestone or U.S.Royal, which were the most common.

Craig
                  My '62 GT was also built with Dunlops.

Paul
                  I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                  1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

i plan on getting a production order for it really curious to see out it turns out

Comment

Working...
                    X