Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title needed for 57 Silver Hawk

rd car an acceptable practice?

And if it is an acceptable practice, are any of you able to help me?

Phil, let this be a lesson. NEVER buy a car without the paperwork and a VIN plate on it. What you a suggesting isn't just slimmy, it's highly illegal. What you are suggesting is a felony. If found out, you may not go to prison, but the car can be taken and destroyed, you could have a record (and lose your voting privileges) and be subject to a large fine.

The Florida restoration company could be in trouble for jumping titles (tax evasion) as well as possibly the same penalties that you would be subject to.

You need to have the state assign a title to the vehicles. Buying a car is not illegal. Taking Serial Number plates off one car and putting on another is.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Google "CARS WITOUT TITLES"
      https://www.google.com/#q=No%20title%20for%20car.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

It all depends on which state you're in.
        Here in California there are several ways a title can be legally created.
        A car can be built out of parts from many cars and suppliers and then be given a new VIN plate from the DMV.
        You have to have proof of when, who and where you bought the parts and pieces.
        Or a "Salvage" title can be created through the DMV. I did that once on a Chevy station wagon.
        Made sure the car wasn't hot, had it inspected, mechanically and by the Highway Patrol. Filled paperwork and received a new title several weeks later.
        Some say that it devalues the car but I wasn't planning on selling the Chevy anyway so that didn't matter.
        Also if the car hasn't been on the DMV records for 25 years a new title can be created.
        It's a hassle but it's legal and done regularly.
        Luckily the DMV office here in town is not always busy and finding someone who knows a little bit about titles there is possible. NOT EASY, BUT POSSIBLE.
        Do your homework and go in with much knowledge, you will probably have to tell them how to do their job.

Yeah, your much better off getting the correct paperwork in the first place.
        Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 04-09-2014, 11:15 PM. Reason: added a line
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Philip, check for a P.M.

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

I knew the first car was just for parts, and I really didn't expect to be able to register it (heck, I bought it off the "for parts only" section of ebay). The suggestion about buying a different title just came up as I was paying for things.

The second car has the ID plate and I have a Bill of Sale for it, so I do expect to be able to register it. But as 55 56 PREZ 4D says, complete paperwork would make it easier!

Comment

Working...
            X