Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bruise is feeling a little bluer today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bruise is feeling a little bluer today...

Hi all--

Here's the latest on my '65 Commander...I was tired of the piebald looks of the bodywork with replacement panels, varicoloured primer here and there, etc, so decided to make the car look a little more "deliberate". Someday she'll go all either Laguna or Executive Blue (or a modern facsimile), but for now, rattle-can GM Light Metallic Blue will do. Here's the left rear quarter, masked...

...and sporting blue at last.

For the fronts, I opted to mask and two-tone the concave area with the blue, leaving the rest of the panel black; the hood, too, will stay black, and eventually sport a magnetic Hamilton Chapter crest sign.

The finished (for now) product...

Had the car out and around quite a bit yesterday. In the evening she started stalling; she's still got issues of course, but will be as reliable as the Lark is before too long, I don't doubt. Still hoping to have both cars at Badenoch in a few weeks.

Cheers all

S.

Hey...if those British guys on "Wheeler Dealers" can get away with rattle can paint jobs...then why not you? In your case, CASO stands for Creative Artistic Solution Overall! From my recliner based forum view...great job!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Other than being a "Heat Score" she's looking good. Cops are profiling these days and go after cars like that. On the other hand you might get lucky. I painted an old Fargo truck that I paid $75 for. First day on the road a guy ran into it and paid me $200 for the dent. Good luck!
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I'm a soft guy for that look, as if the car's never been of the road but just used & taken care of due to costs & not really feeling it has to be shiny = better than it looks!
        My wife's -70 Citroen DSuper is also like that.
        Hope it'll take a looong time before you put a "real" paintjob on it!

Comment

Steve: Lookin' Good! But tell me, I've always wondered-what is the definition of "piebald" Thanks. Dan

Comment

Steve, Although it looks much better I need to alert you on one thing. When you painted the left rear fender I see you masked off the body side molding instead of removing it. The factory primer that was put on parts will not stand up to exposure so the portion under that molding will start to rust. Those moldings are held on mostly by push on clips & usually only one clip has a nut behind it holding it secure. Removing the molding may have taken another 2 minutes in time. Same goes for the front fender moldings. I say this so that others that may not know much about body & paint can learn, not to tear you down.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks all--

Dan: "Piebald" means a patchwork of colours, technically black and white ("bald" at one point meant "white", hence the bald eagle, which is certainly not bald but does have a white-feathered head). A Holstein cow would be piebald.

Warren: Thanks for the info re the rear fender spear. This paintwork is strictly temporary, and the car is getting rustproofed ASAP also, so I'm not too worried about it; the fronts of course are actually entirely outside the area of the new blue rattle can paint. When this car, and/or my Lark, receives the full treatment, the trim will come off.

Here are a couple more shots. The S logo on the left C-pillar had been sprayed over with silver primer; I redid the pillar in blue and, since the S was already primered-over, simply left it unmasked, then brush-painted it with silver model-car paint! The name "Elsie" on the decklid is in honour of two ladies named Elsie--my late grandmother (whose husband, my granddad, owned at least two Studes back in the 50s), and the late wife of the 65's previous owner. It's lettered in Sharpie marker; I intend to get it replicated in paint if and when I get the car done overall blue, and the Lark may someday have its name ("Betty") applied also...if I decide to keep both.

Cheers all

S.

Comment

Working...
              X