Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Controlled Antenna Clarification

Hello,

As a lot of you probably know, I have been looking for a rollup antenna for my recent 1951 Studebaker LC project.

However, this post is to clarify some things concerning my 1961 Lark that I am hoping to get on the road as a daily driver. I have had the internal controlled antenna in my Lark for some time as a gentleman from this forum sold it to me several years back (when you could still obtain one for a reasonable price ). For some reason, I always had this feeling that this antenna didn't originally belong in my Lark, and that it went into something earlier. I kept thinking that AC-3012 (newer version) was what went in ALL Larks.

I just recently purchased a NOS in box AC-3012 internally controlled antenna that I was going to put into my Lark. I was very excited that I finally got the "right" antenna for my Lark, and it was NOS! That was, until my gut told me to confirm with my 1961 accessories brochure. I tend to blindly believe these brochures for accessory accuracy when deciding what factory options to put on my cars because I want them to be accurate for the year they were built! I was surprised to find out that the AC# that was referenced in the accessory brochure was NOT AC-3012, but AC-2688.

How could this be? Almost all of the reference material I had found up to this point told me that AC-3012 was the antenna to use on ALL lark models. This website here:

283003W PARK LAMP COVERS,522495 ORNAMENT,290204-5 HOOD ORNAMENT SET 1950 CHAMPION,290535 HOOD ORNAMENT,291678 FENDER ORNAMENT,293270W HOOD ORNAMENT,293270W

tells me that AC-3012 works on all 1959-1964 models. Yet the very same website:

tells me that AC-2688 is only good for model up to 1959.

Now I know this topic has been covered several times before, but before I decide which one of these antennas I need to sell back to recoup my funds, I really need to know which one is the real McCoy. My accessories brochure tells me the one I already have (AC-2688) is the one that should be on my car. BUT, other sources say otherwise.

Once this is cleared away, anyone interested in a trade for a 1947-1952 internally controlled antenna?
    Last edited by 61LaRk4dr; 04-07-2014, 10:04 PM.
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

I would compare the two to see what the differences are. The 59-62 body shell is the same in that area so maybe the differences are little things like the tip of the antenna and or the bezel that goes on the fender.

I am interested in the answer also
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I would also wonder why on the AC- 3012 they include up to '64-since there could be interference with the swing pedal for the E brake. I have a used one from a '59/'60 Lark that I will probably sell for that very reason.
      Rob in PA.

Comment

Rich explains how an AC-3012 will fit in post #11: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=2688

Craig

Comment

I would trade. I have your antenna. Depending on the condition of yours, I would trade. If you plan on coming to our Zone meet in Sacramento, I will have with me.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Rich explains how an AC-3012 will fit in post #11: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=2688

Craig
            Hello Craig,

Thank you for the heads up, it appears that I can't read OR I over looked that fact that I had asked this question awhile back
            1947 Studebaker M-5
            1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

Was the internally controlled antenna only available as part of a package with the push button radio for 1961?
              Last edited by qsanford; 04-08-2014, 03:47 PM. Reason: Content

Comment

No, with either Radio or separate. Usually Dealer installed.

Incidentally, any time a "Website" tells you something like "only fits to 1959", think about when major changes were made. There were no changes to the Bodies from '59 to '60 on either the Lark or the Hawk so I think we can bust that Myth!

Now of course thru the years there were many minor changes that DO NOT effect fit or function to these Antennas like the type of seal on the outer mast base, they were clear plastic in late '59, early '60 and then went to a softer but firm black rubber type seal.
                And as mentioned, there were also changes to the top "eye protector" from round to Hexagon.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 04-08-2014, 10:45 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just got your pictures. Both will not fit your 51 LC.

Comment

Originally posted by royvaldez View Post
                    Just got your pictures. Both will not fit your 51 LC.
                    Hello Roy,

I know they will not fit my Land Cruiser. I own a 1961 Lark 4-door as well, which is what this topic was for.
                    1947 Studebaker M-5
                    1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

Here, read this entire thread, then it'll be clear as mud.

KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I need AC 2688 antenna. See PM. Thanks.
                        sigpic
                        Jack, in Montana

Comment

I also need an antenna for my '60 Lark convertible. My body parts manual says it is "Studebaker antenna kit AC-2688."

Comment

Working...
                          X