Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question about grease fittings,related to my Studebaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question about grease fittings,related to my Studebaker.

Dumb question at that,can I mig weld to a grease fitting ? or is it hardened and won't work well.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
    Dumb question at that,can I mig weld to a grease fitting ? or is it hardened and won't work well.
    I guess one dumb question deserves another. Why do you want to weld to a grease fitting?

Terry

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem, but it might destroy the functionality of the zerk. As an alternative, may I suggest that you weld a threaded bung on and then screw in the zerk.

Comment

Ok here goes,just had My Chevy rims and tires mounted up for My Champ."gonna put discs up front eventually" could not get one of the rims on the front ,then I looked too see that someone had put a grease fitting in that hub.I was anxious to drive it down the road today.was gonna take a spare fitting and cut it down so just the bolt head sticks up and zap a little mig in the hole the Studebaker rim obviously has a little bigger center hole,and I never knew that fitting was there , SO is a fitting weldable,a little CASO here
        Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
        I guess one dumb question deserves another. Why do you want to weld to a grease fitting?

Terry
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Where is the fitting exactly?

Zerks usually go into a 1/8" pipe thread hole. Why not take out the zerk and put a small flat plug in there, like the ones in the early car outer rear axle housing?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            Where is the fitting exactly?

Zerks usually go into a 1/8" pipe thread hole. Why not take out the zerk and put a small flat plug in there, like the ones in the early car outer rear axle housing?
            Grease fitting plugs shouldn't be hard to find. My motorhome has plugs in the ball joints because grease fittings would interfere with the movement of the ball joint internally. I have to remove the plugs, jack up the motorhome, put in grease fittings, grease them, remove the fittings and replace the plugs before I lower the motorhome.

Terry

Comment

Mid-60s Chrysler products had no zerks, just little steel plugs that screwed in and out and might be of help for you.

Comment

Up Date on grease fittings,ground down two fittings to just where the wrench fits - put a quick mig weld and good to go! now there is plenty of clearance for the rim's center hole . nothing like a good case of CASO put into effect
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                X