Engine Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Paint

About ready to paint my 170 cu. in. six cylinder. Totally new at painting and would like some advice. Which is longer lasting: paint brushed on, paint shot with spray system or aerosol can? Besides no oil, grease and dirt, is there a primer paint or coating? Any other advice re: engine painting? Thanks

I did mine last fall with a kit I got from POR15. It includes everything you need to do the job. It is a brushed on product, but flows very nicely. I assume the engine is in the car? Take off as many of the items from the engine you can; carb, valve cover, etc. The more stuff you have to paint around, the more difficult it is. Also, if you go this route, keep in mind the paint has to cure for a few days before driving. Good Luck and take your time!

Comment

We could help with the Color if we knew what the Year of your 170 6 Cyl. is.

Studebaker Vendors who advertise in Turning Wheels and can be found on the Web at:
      http://studebakervendors.com do have the Correct Colors.

Usually Gun Sprayed Engine Enamel would be more durable, but Spray Can Engine Enamel has gotten pretty good.
      Duplicolor has Ceramic 500 Degree Engine Enamel I believe.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I did POR-15 and painted green over that.........
        The POR is still there, the green's long gone.....

Comment

Not sure about the original posters year, but I was going to start a topic on this... How about '63 valve cover yellow. Whats best? I only have 2 to paint so I figure aerosol it will be.
          sigpic
          '89 Ford Festiva
          '90 Ford F250 4x4
          '18 Kia Soul
          '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
          '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

I brushed my 51 Champion with the engine in the car in 2011 and after a few trips (i.e. 700 to 1500 miles round trip) the paint is still there and looks as good as when I did it. I spray canned my Hawk with the engine out of the car in 2001 and with less driving the paint is mostly gone. When I repaint the Hawk engine this spring, I will be brushing it. When brushing the flat head 6 cylinder I used some masking tape and took a lot of time and kept a rag close by. Good luck.

Comment

Nothing better!

1928-1954 GREEN ENGINE PAINT, QUART,1956-57 TURQUOISE ENGINE PAINT, QUART,1928-1954 GREEN ENGINE PAINT SPRAY CAN,1956-57 TURQUOISE ENGINE PAINT SPRAY CAN,

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                Not sure about the original posters year, but I was going to start a topic on this... How about '63 valve cover yellow. Whats best? I only have 2 to paint so I figure aerosol it will be.
                Some folks say that John Deere yellow is pretty close.

As far as engine paint goes. I have brush painted all of mine, after a thorough degreasing.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                X