Need (want) dealer items.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need (want) dealer items.....

I really do not need these but really do want them. I would like license plate tags for Morton Motor Company in Omaha, Nebraska and R & W Auto Sales in Fayetteville, NC
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Joe; Don't mean to throw cold water on the search but such items were very rarely even ordered by dealers. My guess in the neighborhood of 1 in 500. Of course they were sold by aftermarket vendors and Studebaker never offered them. In any event I was at Morton Motors on more than one occasion and do not believe they ever offered such an item. I seriously doubt whether R & W did either. Good luck with the search.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
      Joe; Don't mean to throw cold water on the search but such items were very rarely even ordered by dealers. My guess in the neighborhood of 1 in 500. Of course they were sold by aftermarket vendors and Studebaker never offered them. In any event I was at Morton Motors on more than one occasion and do not believe they ever offered such an item. I seriously doubt whether R & W did either. Good luck with the search.

Richard, you know this or did at one time (LOL), but I'd like anything with "Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA" on it. You had sent me a factory photo from 1947 many years back taken there which I still have and just love, and had printed me a 1961 'Studebaker News' photo/blurb about the dealership getting their 35th anniversary plaque. I had asked Carl Jr. ("Ed") about stickers or license plate frames, and he said he doesn't think they ever used either on cars sold...hard to imagine, but it was a different time then. BTW, they were an authorized Studebaker dealer from Feb. 1926 through December 1968, and sold Packards from '41 and M-B from '57 on, in a small, non-suburban town of under 10K. The Chrysler-Plymouth dealer picked up the SASCO franchise in Jan. '69 through 1972.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

It has been my experience that a very many mostly Eastern U.S. Dealers used the Body Chrome Nameplates, metal under the Trunk Handle signs and later Body Decals for their advertising.

This is not to say that "some" did not use License Frames though, because it was up to the Dealers not the Factory to choose to buy these or not.
        The West Coast however rarely had anything except License Frames in use, some Lic. Frame Mfg. in the West must have done a great job recruiting customers for them.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I would be interested any items related to either of these dealerships. I realize searches for such things are ofter futile, especially the license plate surrounds and "toppers." Just thought I would ask.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
          X