ID:	1742971Click image for larger version

Name:	37presidentpowdercoating 022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1742972Click image for larger version

Name:	37presidentpowdercoating 023.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1742973 I just got the frame and most of the suspension components for my '37 President back from the powdercoater. This stuff looks great and for a price that I don't think I could paint it myself. I didn't have the rear end or shocks done because I didn't pull the seals in the rear end and I wasn't sure what would happen to them in the oven. I'll paint those things myself. I have to get this back together ASAP because I don't want it hanging around the garage getting dinged up as separate pieces, and I don't have the room to protect them as separate pieces. As soon as I can get the wheels painted and the new tires mounted I'll have a chassis to roll around again. Depending on the engine rebuild, I might have a chassis to bring to Dover. Tom

Extra special nice.
    Bet it cost grand, too.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Never tried it but, how does the powder coating hold up on springs?
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

doesn't look like much Studebaker parts there, what am I missing?
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

I would also like to know how it holds up on springs. I do a fair amount of powder coating and it does not like to flex.
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

I just talked to a powder coater. He said slight flexing like in wheels/rims is OK. Items with more flexing and bending tend to crack. He didn't clearly define "more" when I asked.

Comment

Tom,
              Parts look great. I've had good experience with many powder coated parts on my Hudson. It was in fact cheaper than I could have painted and I believe it will hold up longer. I'd venture a wager that the powder coating on the leaf springs will last longer than paint. Everyone needs a little encouragement from time to time.
              Kim

Comment

Good luck on the powder coated springs.
                My PC Guy refuses to do this process on any part that will flex.
                He tells me that the process is like putting porcelain on cast iron sinks, and that any hit or flex on the part will result in coating damage.

Comment

It has been years since I was selling powder coating systems. I'm sure, like all things, powder manufacturers are constantly improving the performance of their products. You could contact a powder coating manufacturer's rep and get up to speed on the latest. Companies like Akzo Nobel, Sherwin Williams, Spraylat, TCI, and Tiger Drylac, come to mind. There are "thermoplastic" and "thermoset" powders, with epoxy, polyester, acrylic, and fluoropolymer composition. I did not sell powder, just the equipment to apply it. The reps were usually happy to accompany me, provide samples, and discuss the advantages of their products. For a backyard restorer, check with your local powder seller. He could get you in touch with the factory rep, or pass your questions on to him.

A good example of what kind of information you could gain is Epoxy. Lots of folks think of epoxy as the ultimate coating. However, it can't hold up to UV rays and therefore is only good for applications where it is out of direct sunlight, or used as an under-coat with a top-coat of another type of material.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Some people feel powder coating can hide cracks and corrosion...and therefore don't like the stuff of critical items.
                    A friend who is a professional engineer as well as an award winning antique aircraft (Staggerwing Beech, many Stearmans, Boeing 40, WACO) restorer has told me he would use it on critical parts like an engine mount.
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I'll keep a close watch on the springs after I get everything together but it will probably be a while before I re-assemble the car and get enough weight on the suspension to flex the springs. After I'm able to drive it for a while I'll report here if I see anything.

Bob--I guess you missed everything. These parts are 100% original 1937 Studebaker President. Tom

Comment

I'm impressed not only with how good everything looks but how massive that frame is! I would have thought it came from a truck, especially rugged looking compared to later Stude frames.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by tomlewis View Post
                          Bob--I guess you missed everything. These parts are 100% original 1937 Studebaker President.
                          Sometimes you need to cut the newbies a little slack. Remember, this was already an antique before Bob was born!
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I had the wheels on my 47 Crosley PU powder coated orange, they look terrific and so easy to clean.
                            Tires mounted so easy. I'm sure you'll be glad you had the powder coating done.
                            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Starliner62 powder coated the wheels on my Cruiser. They look great and like clonelark said they are easy to clean (when I get around to it).
                              Last edited by JRoberts; 04-03-2014, 10:21 AM.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X