Radio keeps cutting out for a half second

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Radio keeps cutting out for a half second

Replaced the am radio in a 1963 GT Hawk with newer FM after market radios. After I start the car, the radio will cut out for about a half second. Tried 3 different FM radios. All do the same.Thought it was a ground issue. Ran separate ground and hot wire to the battery. Same problem. Then ran the negative to the frame. Same problem. Ready to give up. All radios run fine if not hooked up to the Hawk. Ready to give up. Ideas?

Stude Steve
    sigpicStude Steve

Are you using a accessory or switch on power supply? If accessory, then try direct just to test. Could be ignition switch.

Comment

Well Steve...I'm not sure of your complaint??? Perhaps I'm confused (no surprise here), but if the radio only "cuts out" for half a second...what's the problem? What is so important that you are afraid of missing in that half second? On the other hand, if the radio plays for half a second, then cuts off...that is a whole 'nuther problem! A brief intermittent "cut-out" is much different than a "cut-off."

We have some rather savvy radio techs as members of this forum. If you will provide a bit more clarity of your problem, hopefully one of them will have a solution.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Steve

I had the same problem with my AH 3000 but it was due to the voltage inverter I had to use due to the positive ground Lucas system. It is irritating.

I know you don't have that problem, no inverter, but is one of the battery posts or connections loose/corroded. Give each terminal a light smack and see if it reproduces the effect.

Other than that, no idea, Bob

Comment

thanks for the input guys. Yes it is an intermittent cut out for a half second. It will drive you nuts! The fact that it keeps happening even when wired around the existing charging / car electrical system is puzzling.
          sigpicStude Steve

Comment

Is the cut out accompanied with a pop or crackle?
            What are you using for an antenna?
            Does the radio have a ground that is better or worse than the antenna has?
            Does the cut off happen at random intervals, or are they semi regular? (like static build up and discharge)
            engine running, what is the voltage at the radio?

Comment

Are you using the CORRECT 8 Ohm or 4-8 Ohm Speaker for your Stereo?
              The 10 Ohm Studebaker Speakers will be wrong. I am sure one of our Radio Techs will find this post and give you more direct answers, hang in here.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK, sorry, I am back.

To address your questions back to me:
                1. no pop or crack when the sound cuts out. The lights on the radio go out as well. Sounds like power issue
                2. the cut off of sound is fairly consistent, about every 45 - 60 seconds. Have not timed it.
                3. Antennae seems to be aftermarket. Not sure. Not sure of ground of antennae vs radio.
                4. This does not occur without the motor running. Key on accessory, not an issue.

thanks again for any ideas.

Stude Steve
                sigpicStude Steve

Comment

If the lights go out on the radio, then it is a power issue.

Have you measured the input voltage to the radio? If it's going/cycling too high or too low, maybe the radio is momentarily shutting down to protect itself.

Is there anything in the car that is cycling at the same rate, like an air conditioning compressor?

Do the headlights get brighter and dimmer at the same rate?
                  Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-30-2014, 06:41 PM.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

how many speakers are connected?
                    The aftermarket radio has to have TWO wires from the radio to each of the speaker(s). You cannot ground the speakers to chassis and just run one. (like was often done in old cars)

ETA,

If it works fine with the engine not running, I would check the voltage output of the charging system. Could be too high. Maybe a bad regulator.
                    Last edited by AC0J; 03-30-2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Good Ideas. I will check it out and get back to you

Stude Steve
                      sigpicStude Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                        Are you using a accessory or switch on power supply? If accessory, then try direct just to test. Could be ignition switch.
                        That would be my guess. I had an ignition switch that if you jiggle your keys or had a big swinging keychain, the accessories would be intermittent.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                          Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
                          That would be my guess. I had an ignition switch that if you jiggle your keys or had a big swinging keychain, the accessories would be intermittent.
                          Originally posted by stevee View Post
                          Replaced the am radio in a 1963 GT Hawk with newer FM after market radios. After I start the car, the radio will cut out for about a half second. Tried 3 different FM radios. All do the same.Thought it was a ground issue. Ran separate ground and hot wire to the battery. Same problem. Then ran the negative to the frame. Same problem. Ready to give up. All radios run fine if not hooked up to the Hawk. Ready to give up. Ideas?

Stude Steve
                          Truly a mystery. Looks like Steve has covered the issues in the other posted concerns. I'm wondering if the radio is cutting off (loss of power) or merely "loosing signal." Could it be the antennae? How about taking a separate antennae and plugging it in the radio, unattached to the car. Could be that there is a fault causing the antennae to ground out and lose signal????
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                            Steve

I had the same problem with my AH 3000 but it was due to the voltage inverter I had to use due to the positive ground Lucas system. It is irritating.

I know you don't have that problem, no inverter, but is one of the battery posts or connections loose/corroded. Give each terminal a light smack and see if it reproduces the effect.

Other than that, no idea, Bob
                            After closely reading the previous posts, I think Bob is onto something with a battery problem. Since it only occurs when running (also vibrating), even bypassing the switch and electrical charging system, it still happens when running. Loose plate in the battery? All of his previous troubleshooting always includes the same battery.
                            Last edited by Son O Lark; 04-01-2014, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X