original Avanti wheel dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: original Avanti wheel dimensions

I have the original spare to my 63R3453 Avanti. Your Avanti estimates are the same measurements as those I took off of my original spare with a Firestone 500 Tubeless 6.70-15 bias original tire. The Avanti wheels were larger as you estimate. Outside of rim is 6", inside is 5'. Backspace is 3 5/8 ~ 3 3/4. I have a set of 4, 15'x7" wheels with a back space of 4" that I took off of my Avanti when I replaced them with Cragar Clasic Keystones and Michelin All Season 215/75 R15's. If you have an interest in the 15"x7" let me know. There was no spacing problems at all with the 15"x7" wheels and tires. The Cragars are also 15"x7". I hope this helps with your concerns. Gary

Comment

Gary, PM sent.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

So Gary, your "extra" 15X7 Wheels from your Avanti are stock Steel, Dodge? Or Ford?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The wheels were on the car when I bought it years ago so I don't know what car they came from. They do have the nubs for mounting a 10" moon over the lug nuts. I have cleaned them up and gave them a coat of primmer. I'm not sure what they are worth but they have served me well. Gary

Comment

Just a thought about having the wider wheels on newer Avanti's with the smaller fender wheel opening in the front. The clearance for 7" deep wheels may be a concern. Also I have sent replies to ddub and StudeRich. Thanks for your comments and interest. Gary

Comment

Dredging up an old post for new information. 1980 Avanti that needs new wheels. I'm not looking to add width. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to putting 16" wheels (and lower profile tires to keep the diameter the same) instead of 15's? Would I use the same backspacing?
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                Dredging up an old post for new information. 1980 Avanti that needs new wheels. I'm not looking to add width. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to putting 16" wheels (and lower profile tires to keep the diameter the same) instead of 15's? Would I use the same backspacing?
                16" wheels on an Avanti would allow more options for tires. Also, the lower profile tires would improve handling a bit (because of reduced flexing of the sidewalls). Backspacing similar to the 15x6 or 15x6.5" Ford wheels should work. The width of the 16" wheels will be an issue to be examined if you go too wide.

--Dwight

Comment

Thanks Dwight, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm not wanting more width, just wanting to know my options when I do buy wheels and tires and avoid problems.
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

If you buy new steel wheels be aware that many are over 30#. A heavy wheel will hurt ride and handling.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                      If you buy new steel wheels be aware that many are over 30#. A heavy wheel will hurt ride and handling.
                      This is the kind of thing I wanted to know. 15" it remains.Thanks!
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Does anyone know what the early Ford Ranger wheels weigh? Thank you

Comment

These 15x6 steel wheels on Amazon may fill the bill:

https://www.amazon.com/RTX-Aftermark.../dp/B01MQ18WE6

They cost $78.84 ppd and weigh 19.25 pounds. I don't know what the offset is, but they would be worth investigating.

--StudeDwight

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel, steel, 15x6, Amazon, $78.84ppd, 19.25 lbs.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1951186

Comment

Thank you, the bolt pattern has to be 4.5," these are 5 something unless I read it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by solar View Post
                              Thank you, the bolt pattern has to be 4.5," these are 5 something unless I read it wrong.
                              The specs are: 5X114.3 bolt pattern

That means 5 lugs on a 114.3 mm diameter circle. Converting 114.3 mm to inches gives 4.5 inches. We are used to seeing this in inches, e.g., 5 x 4.5 in. But they gave it in metric units for some reason.

--StudeDwight
                              Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 07-12-2022, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• solar
                                solar commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thank you for the clarification.
                            Working...
                            X