Cal-Trac Setups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal-Trac Setups...

There were a limited number of CalTrac traction devices made, by a member of the forum. I am starting a registry of those who purchased them. Please let me know who you are, and the description of the car you installed them on, and the results you had at the Drag Strip, in terms of reduction of Elapsed Time. This will be very helpful to me, and everyone else, especially those with cars that have 365hp chevy engines, like the one Dick Steinkamp had. In spite of having 365 hp, with Ted Harbit at the wheel, Dick's car could only run about 14.9-something. Did he put some CalTracs on, and do better? How about Bams--what has he done with his CalTracs? Please--I cannot accept anecdotal evidence(aka, BS), I need verifiable results. Thanks.

You're not a lawyer are you????
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie View Post
      There were a limited number of CalTrac traction devices made, by a member of the forum. I am starting a registry of those who purchased them. Please let me know who you are, and the description of the car you installed them on, and the results you had at the Drag Strip, in terms of reduction of Elapsed Time. This will be very helpful to me, and everyone else, especially those with cars that have 365hp chevy engines, like the one Dick Steinkamp had. In spite of having 365 hp, with Ted Harbit at the wheel, Dick's car could only run about 14.9-something. Did he put some CalTracs on, and do better? How about Bams--what has he done with his CalTracs? Please--I cannot accept anecdotal evidence(aka, BS), I need verifiable results. Thanks.

I don't remember things very well any more but I do not recall ever driving Dick's car. ??

Ted

Comment

How many other people were in Dick's car during that run?
        StudeRick & Johna
        Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
        1957 Silver Hawk
        1963 Avanti
        1961 Lark Wagon
        1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

Ted, That was 2006 at the Omaha meet. I have video of that. Was sitting in the stands for that meet at Mid America Raceway. Dick will have to tell you what the problems were. Gearing was one.

Comment

Well, I was contacted by the legal team of a certain suspension accessory, and told NOT to discuss them, anymore. So, I've given up on the Registry idea, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
              Ted, That was 2006 at the Omaha meet. I have video of that. Was sitting in the stands for that meet at Mid America Raceway. Dick will have to tell you what the problems were. Gearing was one.
              Then I did drive it? Sure don't remember it.

Ted

Comment

sals54

Comment

Has the patent run out on the Caltrac's traction bars? I think their patent is 20 years old.
                  Even if it is, you can still build your own. Just don't try to sell any.
                  hotrodsandhemis.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, hotrodsandhemis.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Yes, that looks like it would be fairly easy for the accomplished DIY. I had run across that design, and wondered if anyone had used them yet, and how streetable they are insofar as noise or harsh ride, etc. That is what I was researching. But, I guess I'll just build a set for my own use, and try em out. It will be easy to reverse the modification, if they don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                      Has the patent run out on the Caltrac's traction bars?
                      Doesn't look like it.
                      A traction device is provided that includes a rigid front mount assembly that may be clamped to or around the vehicle's leaf spring, thereby creating a positive displacement point for torque transmitted from the rear axle through a telescoping linkage. An advantageous shock absorption element associated with the telescoping linkage cushions forces transmitted therethrough. Free travel and pre-load adjustments are made quick and easy through a readily accessible adjustment mechanism. A preferred bracket design is also provided which ensures optimal force transmission and enhanced system strength and reliability. The traction device of the present disclosure may be included in original vehicle fabrication and assembly, or may be readily installed on existing vehicles without the need for welding or modifications to the chassis or rear axle housing.

Comment

But that doesn't look anything Caltrac's original design.

Originally posted by 61Lark View Post
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

From the early/mid 70's & forward loads of Swedish drag-racers, even street-racers, had those & I don't know if they bother buying them or making it yourself but they were always yellow-painted.
                          So what's the interest in this...? Really?
                          I can hardly imagen they were that un-usuall in the States if they were all over the country in Sweden...
                          (I sure wished I had spring-leafs AND THAT on my -64 Chevelle SS (with more done to the 327 than I can remember) in -79 but coil-springs... BAH! )

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                            Has the patent run out on the Caltrac's traction bars? I think their patent is 20 years old.
                            Even if it is, you can still build your own. Just don't try to sell any.

http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html
                            Good point

The first patent on this design was filed by M Valerio in 1976 https://www.google.com/patents/US4098523

John Calvert, of Cal-Trac, filed a patent in 1993 https://www.google.com/patents/US5354092 claiming an "Improvement" over Valerio's design

Michael W. Kugler, of Moroso Performance filed a patent in 2000, https://www.google.com/patents/US6386565, claiming an "Improvement" over Valerio and Calvert's design

The design in http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html[/QUOTE] resembles Calvert's design, not Kugler's..

It would be interesting to see when the description in the hot rod's link was first published, as to note prior art, voiding Calvert's patent.

Calvert's design was issued patent on Oct 11, 1994 which will be 20 years this October..

Comment

I wonder if anyone has a patent these traction bars..

Comment

Working...
                              X