Whet to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whet to do

since I have an extra R1 and powerflite transmission I have been trying to figure out what to put it in. I have a '59 lark 2dr that might work. Will a regular lark V8 radiator keep it cool? I also have a '54 half ton that would be fun with it. The engine and trans is out of my '51 commander starlite and that is right next to the R1. I never thought I would have such a dilemma. I guess I'll just leave on the garage floor and drool on it for now.
    Rob

It should be pretty much a bolt-in in the '59 Lark if you have some V8 Front Engine Mount Brackets.
    The Radiator will not work or fit as good as a V8 one since it is a Six Cylinder.

You will need a water Manifold for a Lark, you could trade the Avanti one for it, if it is a "R" engine, not a JT Hawk/Lark.

Then you may want to STOP the Car, so Brakes and the Front Springs will need to be addressed.

I am sure you know the Starlight Coupes are not Starlites, and the Floor Shift Automatics are Powershifts.

The Truck will require a lot of Truck specific parts to work, including driveshaft changes.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have the water manifold. Would the damper also need to be changed or the water pump pully? I have some V8 radiators out of some 62-63 cars. I also have the mount brackets (lots of parts cars). The rear end would need to be upgraded too. I have a 44 TT with about 4.11s in a 1/2 ton champ. Is the track on that too wide or can I just move the spring mounts?
      I have a complete front suspension and drum brakes from a 63 V8 lark but the rearend is a TT 27 with 3.07s.
      I know most of this is going to require some work and modification.
      I also need to forget about all those old mopar terms (powerflite).
      I should leave the 51 alone and put it back together. It is too nice in original restored condition.
      My wife thinks the '59s are cute anyway.
      Rob

Comment

The truck rear axle assembly is wider than one used in the cars. I have both & can measure it tomorrow if you want.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks but I am just trying to think through this idea. I would have go out and make all the measurements too. It would sure be a fun project if it ever gets off the ground.
          Rob

Comment

I can save you the trouble and just come take it off your hands so problem solved.

Comment

If the wife likes it... I would definately go with the Lark. I have aquired a fondness for the early Larks since my grandson fell in love with a 60 2dr Ht that I was going to junk out.
              It's sitting in my yard right now with a freshly rebuilt engine in it.
              Neil Thornton

Comment

I was in a bit of the same delema as you. Ultimately it came down to the Lark being able to carry more people to events/cruises. If you have kids or grand kids, you'll find the truck a bit confining.

Since the wife likes the Lark, it seems Lark first then the truck.
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X