Where was the dip stick on the flightomatic? vs. detroit gear 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was the dip stick on the flightomatic? vs. detroit gear 250

Just was wondering if it was in the place like turbo 400's ? Mine is a detroit gear 250 and the dip stick is in the floorboard .

The flightomatics that I am familiar with have the dipstick in, and acting as the cap for, a 3/4 inch thick fill tube coming up along the right side of the engine.
    That tube begins with a BIG gland nut at the rear of the transmission oil pan, makes a 180 degree turn, and heads up the side of the engine.

Comment

The dipstick under the hood is found on 61 & later cars. Before that there is an inspection plate on the right side of the transmission tunnel in front of the passengers front seat. Under that plate is the cap that holds the dipstick. I would think it is the same on the D.G. transmissions too but am not familiar with those so let the more knowledgeable ones chime in on that.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hello,

On the D.G. transmission installed on my 51' Land Cruiser, there is a cap located on transmission tunnel as Warren said. Under the cap is where you can pull the dipstick.
        1947 Studebaker M-5
        1946 Studebaker M-5
        1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
        1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
        1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
          The dipstick under the hood is found on 61 & later cars. Before that there is an inspection plate on the right side of the transmission tunnel in front of the passengers front seat. Under that plate is the cap that holds the dipstick. I would think it is the same on the D.G. transmissions too but am not familiar with those so let the more knowledgeable ones chime in on that.
          The transmission dipstick is found under the hood of '61 and later Larks and '62 and later Hawks.

Comment

Yup. DG is on the tunnel, under the cap. Fluid must be checked while the tranny is warm and the car is in gear or fluid flies all over. It's hot and sticky.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

You can put the late model pan and dipstick on an earlier trans and just not use the floorboard one. Been there and done that just for the reasons Dave Warren said. Parts were available through Stude parts dealers a recent as a few years ago.
              Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                You can put the late model pan and dipstick on an earlier trans and just not use the floorboard one. Been there and done that just for the reasons Dave Warren said. Parts were available through Stude parts dealers a recent as a few years ago. Dan
                That is true, IF you have an early Flight-O-Matic as Jerry said; '56 all models except 56J to '60 Lark and '61 Hawk.
                Since you have a Detroit Gear DG250, you can not.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X