Where is this covered wagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is this covered wagon?

I kind of hate to see this thing sitting outside, since it must be rare. Most wagons I see are just regular farm wagons. Now the question is where is it in Oregon. Those bows are probably not original, now that I look at it.

1899 Studebaker Covered Wagon Antique Nissan Leaf 100% Electric Free Charge Stations in Oregon http://www.1ownercarguy.com Just another quick stop along the ...
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

They don't improve sitting out,like You say.reminds Me of a Covered Wagon that was well/mostly buried in an old dump sight behind the Barn of an old Farm house My Parents bought in 1965.as kids We would play around it,and as i got older always wondered if it was a Studebaker ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Halsey, OR. On I-5 in central Oregon north of Eugene.

PIONEER VILLA TRUCK STOP, 33180 OR-228, Halsey, OR 97348, 58 Photos, Mon - 5:00 am - 10:00 pm, Tue - 5:00 am - 10:00 pm, Wed - 5:00 am - 10:00 pm, Thu - 5:00 am - 10:00 pm, Fri - 5:00 am - 10:00 pm, Sat - 5:00 am - 10:00 pm, Sun - 5:00 am - 10:00 pm
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks, Dwain! Next time I'm going up to Portland I'll look out for it.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Oh no! Look how it's deteriorated from this photo!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	wagon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1688378

OR is the photo newer than the movie?

Comment

I am saddened every time I see one of these old wagons being used as "yard art." Even the non-Studebaker wagons are, in my opinion, historic relics. Ideally, they should be stored indoors with enough humidity to keep them from dry rotting.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Is there a way to tell if a wagon was built by Studebaker?

Comment

Not hard to tell that the top bows are not original. Looks better with the covering on it. We still have the wooden bows that my grandad used to cover his load when he hauled freight between Rosebud, Arkansas and Searcy. They were in the barn loft all the time I was growing up and I never realized what they were. The 40+ mile round trip took 2 days with unloading and loading.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

This Guy has a pretty good Conestoga History Video, but never once mentioned WHO built these, I would think that MOST were probably built by the Worlds Largest Wagon Mfg. !

StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    I am saddened every time I see one of these old wagons being used as "yard art." Even the non-Studebaker wagons are, in my opinion, historic relics. Ideally, they should be stored indoors with enough humidity to keep them from dry rotting.
                    In Oregon I think it's more like "wet rotting".
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I've read that almost half of the wagons used by settlers heading west were using Studebakers. Pretty amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X